[3830] RAC Winter VE1RAC(VE1RGB) SO CW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Winter VE1RAC(VE1RGB) SO CW LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 15:02:26 -0800
                    RAC Winter Contest

Call: VE1RAC
Operator(s): VE1RGB
Station: VE1RGB

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: Halifax, NS
Operating Time (hrs): 16

  160:   23              5
   80:  116              9
   40:  225              8
   20:  270              9
   15:  125              6
   10:   39              4
    6:
    2:
Total:  798     0       41         0  Total Score = 148,092

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

This is the second or third time I have used the VE1RAC call sign and it is
always lots of fun.  Conditions, while I didn't think they were ideal, were
nonetheless good enough that I could productively run most of the time.  That
fact plus the call sign and an improved station allowed me to beat my previous
personal best in this contest of 117K from 2004.

All told I worked 38 countries, the most surprising being a back-to-back UA0
followed by a JA.  During quiet periods I did a reasonable amount of S&P and
had the pleasure of dropping the RAC call on unsuspecting recipients.  Being
the occasional beneficiary of such gifts from other bonus stations or
multipliers myself, I think the best part of having title to the RAC call sign
is to be in the position of returning the favours.  I had some nice rates
gusting into the 200s and a whole hour at 90 Q/hr which is good for this
station.  It was fun from start to finish and my only apologies are to the
smaller stations that I might have missed:  I started out with serious noise
here that didn't abate until late evening or otherwise I would have put lots of
efforts into digging out a call sign.

30% of my QSOs were with VE stations which seems about normal for this contest
from here.  Kudos to VE6RAC. I got six bands from them.  And from VE1OP and
N0AC.

And for the record (and much to my great surprise and pleasure), I was worked
remotely by W1NN from JA via his station in OH on 160M, 80M, and 40M during
this contest.  Nice job, Hal! You keep your airplane tickets and I'll keep my
log, and we will contact Guiness :)

Thanks to everyone who worked VE1RAC!

Gary, VE1RGB

Equipment:  K3 + P3; N1MM

Antennas:
(1) 90-foot tower coax-fed directly on 160M, 80M, and 40M and matched from the
shack by the K3.  The radial field is 3,000 feet.

(2) 80M dipole at 75 feet fed with ladder line and used on 80M through 6M,
matched by the K3;

(3) full wave 160M vertical delta loop typicaly used on 160M through 10M but
currently experimentally opened up at the corner opposite to the feed point
(ladder line)and used on 80M through 10M with interesting early results.
Matched by the K3 through a 9:1 Guanella balun.

(4) remotely-tuned 40M vertical against 5,000 feet of radials.

(5) 500-foot reversible Beverage

(6) K9AY Loop