[3830] NAQP CW K6VVA Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, post3833@k6vva.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K6VVA Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 21:37:34 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: K6VVA
Operator(s): K6VVA
Station: K6VVA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Locust Peak (Remote)
Operating Time (hrs): 9.75
Radios: SO2R

  160:   65    23
   80:  172    44
   40:  159    45
   20:  131    45
   15:  189    46
   10:  136    34
-------------------
Total:  807   237  Total Score = 191,259

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

I did not sign up for an NCCC team as wasn't sure if my failing batteries at the
remote site would hold up.  They were due to be replaced last week but Murphy
got in the way.  So I decided to just operate as long as I could.

But at 1800 UTC I was still trying to get the remote confuzer (with the logger)
to turn on and was frustrated as heck.  My suspicions were that maybe my special
remote solenoid to push the ON button had slipped, or worse yet, that the
confuzer took a final QRT.

I was about ready to get in the ranch pickup and make the trek up to the remote
site when 'one more for the gipper' attempt made things come alive at 1810 UTC.
After 30 minutes of failure after failure, I considered that a 'Miracle' !!!

20/15/10m were kinda disappointing, but 40m & 80m were quiet and productive.
My low 160m inverted vee does not play very well.  There were some good ears
out there on the low bands.

The last couple hours of operating I expected everything to go belly up at any
moment, but I guess the sunny days lately yielded enough solar juice to the
batteries in spite of the low sun angle.  I did reduce my power output to 80
watts about 0200 UTC which may have helped.

73 & Tnx for the Q's & Mults...

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust