[3830] NAQP CW AB1OD Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW AB1OD Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 22:38:42 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: AB1OD
Operator(s): AB1OD
Station: AB1OD

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CT
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   35    21
   80:  126    37
   40:   64    30
   20:   76    33
   15:   54    20
   10:   11     6
-------------------
Total:  366   147  Total Score = 53,802

Club:

Team:

Comments:

Who would have thought of 80 meters as being the money band?  I'm very glad that
the band was quieter tonight than it has been most of the previous week.

Project of the morning was to repair my inverted L, which celebrated Friday the
13th by experiencing more damage from big Halloween snowstorm.  (Yet another
branch fell...)   I was frustrated because it took longer than I planned
(leading to a late start in the test), and I can't get it to load up on 160
with an auto tuner any more.

However, perhaps it isn't as "broke" as I feared.  I forgot to switch back to
my main antenna, and didn't realize my lapse until about half-way through the
contest.  Prior to this last bout of storm damage, I had considered my L to be
rather poor for anything above 30m.  Between the delay and the wrong antenna, I
probably lost out on a few mults from 10m...but I'm surprised that the L worked
as well as it apparently did for 15 and 20.  It almost makes up for having to
fuss with a manual tuner to go mult-hunting on top band.

Still, lots of fun.  I like the format -- the 10-hour operating limit means
that a serious effort is possible without sacrificing the entire weekend, and
the 100 watt limit means that modest stations like mine have more of a fighting
chance in the pileups.