[3830] NAQP CW K6UFO(@W6YX) Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6ufo@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K6UFO(@W6YX) Single Op QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 11:18:12 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: K6UFO
Operator(s): K6UFO
Station: W6YX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:   40    10
   80:   51    18
   40:   72    21
   20:  165    44
   15:  150    42
   10:   70    19
-------------------
Total:  548   154  Total Score = 84,392

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Well, that could have gone better. Problems with my second radio
killed my 10m start, and I only got radio remedied for the late
evening low bands, when infinite numbers of radios still wouldn't
help when QRP...

Not enough operators from the W6YX Stanford group for a Multi-2,
and N7MH was going to W7RN, so I setup for Single-op. I decided to
use my own K6UFO call for some fun (Thanks for the Nanu-Nanu's!),
and to get refreshed in the Super Check Partial database, as I'm
usually in disguise at NN7SS or W6YX.

I setup two radios for SO2R operation, but at Stanford that means
two radios on two computers - and jumping back and forth between
the two keyboards. It was good to try it again, but I think I prefer
two radios on ONE computer where I just jump around on one display.
But the failure of my second radio ruined my SO2R attempt.

Superficially the Yaesu MarkV appeared OK, but signals were weak and
wandered in frequency, I had to run with attenuators OFF and preamp
ON, which added way more intermod and noise than usual. I struggled
to make a few QSOs, but I was running five times faster on the other
radio on 15m, so something was clearly wrong - 10m was hot and I
wasn't making hay!  After being distracted by this for a couple
hours, I finally just ran single radio until late afternoon when
20m started to lag. During my off-time I pulled the problem radio
out, did a complete CPU reset, redid all the menu settings, checked
all the knob settings, and checked all the cables as I plugged it
back in. In the evening, this radio seemed to perform OK on 80m.
Oh yeah, on my break I also had to walk up the hill to switch the
"shared" feedline from 10m to 160m, and eat some dinner! Thank
goodness we get to take 2 hours off.

When I got back on at 02:30z, I had missed some good 40m time, but
I grabbed what I could. 80m gradually came into workable condition
(for QRP), and I spent the whole last hour searching and CQing on
160m with good rewards for QRP!

So, although I increased my "personal best" QSO count, I feel like
I missed most of 10 meters, and suffered a lot of distraction. I'll
do better next time...

K6UFO Mork!

W6YX Stanford University:
10m: 6 el yagi at 70 ft, 5-el at 30 ft
15m: 6 el yagi at 70 ft, 5 el yagi at 25 ft
20m: 6 el yagi at 60 ft, 5 el yagi at 36 ft
40m: 4 el at 60 ft
80m: inverted vee at 50 ft
160m: "C" antenna off tower
Beverage receiving antennas
Yaesu FT-1000MkV(trouble) and Yaesu FT-1000MP(perfect)
Writelog software

QSO by hour and band.
        160M     80M     40M     20M     15M     10M    Total  Cumm  Off
18Z       -       -       -       -      51      11       62     62
19Z       -       -       -       -      41      13       54    116
20Z       -       -       -       -      24      31       55    171
21Z       -       -       -      15      23      15       53    224
22Z       -       -       -      47       8       -       55    279
23Z       -       -       -      68       3       -       71    350
01Z       -       -       -       -       -       -        0    385   60
02Z       -       -      23       -       -       -       23    408   38
03Z       -      21      25       -       -       -       46    454
04Z       -      23      24       -       -       -       47    501
05Z      40       7       -       -       -       -       47    548
Total:   40      51      72     165     150      70