[3830] NAQP CW K7NV Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7nv@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K7NV Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 12:33:38 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: K7NV
Operator(s): K7NV
Station: K7NV

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NV
Operating Time (hrs): 9:55
Radios: SO2R

  160:   54    17
   80:  113    35
   40:  162    45
   20:  143    41
   15:  281    48
   10:  174    38
-------------------
Total:  927   224  Total Score = 214,137

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC #2

Comments:

Enjoyed getting back on for this contest after missing it for several years.
Beat my previous best claimed score from this station(2003)by a little bit.

This was my first real attempt to run this station SO2R with the new computer
and N1MM Logger, but it was really only SO1.5R.
I don't have all the interface equipment yet to key both radios with the
computer, so R1 was keyed by N1MM & an external electronic keyer and lefthand
key, and R2 was only keyed by an separate external memory keyer and righthand
key.
I used R1 for all the running, and R2 was only used for S&P Q's while running,
which made bandchanges more complicated.

Making R2 q's was pretty entertaining! When I found a new station to work on R2
I used the normal N1MM feature to swap focus to the R2 logging window and enter
the call. Then to call the guy I had to reach over and press the button on the
memory keyer to send my call, then press another button to send the exchange.
So, my right hand was always moving back and forth to operate the keyer and
keyboard to complete the Qso. It got easier after a while. R2 made 125 Q's, so
I guess it was worth the effort. It'll be a lot more fun when I get things
working like they are supposed to ;-)

In the first 15 min, I started hearing the R2 keyer going spastic and sending
weird stuff, while running on R1. I gess RF got into it....anyway I ended up
not having any R2 capability until after my first break, when I put a bunch of
ferrites on it and reprogrammed the keyer, this required opening up the manual
on my laptop to get the instructions about what to do (It was my Dads old
Logikey K-1, which I've never used before. Then it worked fine.
Now, I had tested everything for several days before the contest and didn't
have the problem, but...after all it IS a contest!

My lefthand Vibroplex key started going wonky and getting all loose and there
were times when I couldn't send anything with it. I got out the magic
screwdriver that adjusts the top pivot pin and had it right next to the key,
then I could keep it adjusted when it got loose. I'll have work on that one
some more.....

This was my second contest with N1MM, so I'm still learning how to set it up
and use it. Should get better with time.....I think I like it.

I stayed too late on 15M and ended up running out of propagation on 20M, the
band closed about an hour earlier than my past logs showed. The same happened
on 40M. I hate it when that happens!

All in all, it was a real entertaining outing and I'm looking forward to the
next advenure.

Thanks for all the fun!

73, Kurt

TH7 @45' Run Antenna