[3830] NAQP SSB KE3X(@N3HBX) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kenlow7@aol.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB KE3X(@N3HBX) Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 08:05:13 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: KE3X
Operator(s): KE3X
Station: N3HBX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Clarksburg, MD
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:   44    20
   80:  175    44
   40:  140    43
   20:  257    43
   15:  142    33
   10:  121    25
-------------------
Total:  879   208  Total Score = 186,348

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

First off, a big 'Thank You' to John Evans, N3HBX for inviting me to his
excellent Clarksburg station.   It did not take long to figure out how to play
to the station's advantages, including 2-elements on 80 at 110 feet, which made
for some very nice runs around 10PM local time and good success on 20.   This
was the first time I had tried 100% SO2R for the 10-hours and it was quite
fun.

I had goals of 1,000 Q's and 200 mults going in:  succeeded on the mults but
whiffed on the Q's.   Still learning to 'think loud' and CQ more.  I probably
spent 75% of the time CQ'ing but the extra 25% would probably have made for
1,000.   Unbelievable to see NX5M with over 3,000 QSO's ?!? - a real testament
to the popularity of this contest.

After seeing some of the other scores, it's clear I waited too long to move to
160 - only had 20 mults there compared to KW8N's 40 (!).   Took the last hour
off, which probably did not hurt much as the rate dropped sharply at that point
anyway.   Had the 10-minute rate meter up above 200 a few times which was good
fun.

Thanks to all who moved upon request, especially those that didn't work out.
Attempted several times to move DE to 40 meters and never got it - thanks to
N3DXX and WW3DE for trying anyway.   Also missed the less popular New England
states (ME, VT, RI) on several bands.   To top it off, N8II (WV) called in, and
I forgot to move Jeff to the 5 other bands - another 5 easy mults missed ...
Doh!

Always nice to hear the Thursday Night Contesting bunch break out their
microphones.  Highlights included 'ZFO on 3 bands, '3M on 160, 'UJ on 6 bands
and a surprise call from DanWa!   Great fun overall - CU in the next one.

Ken KE3X
(@ N3HBX Clarksburg)