[3830] CQ160 CW K5WA Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K5WA@ARRL.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K5WA Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 08:20:20 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K5WA
Operator(s): K5WA
Station: K5WA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 25

Total:  QSOs = 1053  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 36  Total Score = 264,892

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

After having great conditions in south Texas for the last couple of years, this
was very disappointing for DX.  I thought it was going to be a great weekend
when I heard (but couldn't work) SX2T just after my sunset on the first evening
but no zone 20 or Russians for the rest of the contest.  It seemed like a wall
was erected just beyond NH except for some strange pipeline to S5.  My best
moment was swinging the phased verticals to the SW and having VP6T call in
within a couple of CQs.  He was LOUD!  However, after the contest, I searched
DX Summit and found out that ZL3IO had spotted me about the same time but I
never heard him.  RATS!  Best indication that conditions were rough is when I
worked ON4UN but had to really work to pull out his call.  When you can't work
ON4UN easily, something is wrong.  I don't know if the solar flare had anything
to do with it or we are just moving up the curve in the solar cycle but I'm sure
glad I got to experience 160 a couple of years ago to see what conditions are
like for the east coast boys on a regular basis.  I also had a thunderstorm
move through during EU sunrise on the second night.  YUCK  ;-)

The station played great with on minor power line noise on the NW beverage.