[3830] CQ160 CW NI5T(@N5BG) Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n5ia@zia-connection.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW NI5T(@N5BG) Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 21:59:54 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: NI5T
Operator(s): N5IA, N5BG, K7IA, N3KCJ, K7FA, N2IC, N5FO, KB5ZKE, KK7YL
Station: N5BG

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: NM
Operating Time (hrs): 33

Total:  QSOs = 1184  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 34  Total Score = 303,831

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Hmmm.  I have mixed emotions about the upswing in the sun spot count.  I also
have a hard time correlating solar flares to good propagation on Top Band.

Other than those two "Little" items, this year's edition of the CQ 160 CW at
the NI5T multi-op was very good.  But those two items affect the final score
more than anything else.  What happened here at this Outlaw Hideaway?  Here
goes.

2nd year operators N3KCJ and N5FO must of had some semblance of fun last year
because they accepted an invitation to play in our sandbox again this year.

Through a magnificent coincidence of travel itinerary, K7FA and KK7YL were able
to park their motor home underneath the canopy of elevated radials at N5BG/NI5T
and enjoy southwestern NM sunsets as well as operate with the group.

Perennial participants N2IC and K7IA plus KB5KZE were each able to operate one
night.

N5BG and N5IA had been working for the past 4 months to make an attempt to have
a TX antenna system that would complement the RX antenna array.  At 24 hours
before contest time the new mirror image of the original 160 Meter TX antenna
was pronounced good enough to try.  It would play, but how well?

Another improvement to the station was the ability to have separate Beverages
independently selectable to the two receivers while operating the Run position
K3 in the diversity mode. All the ops liked that feature.  The only downside
was a 4th feed line from the Bev field did not get installed.  Consequently the
2nd Hunt position had to share with the Run position diversity selection.

Operating at the bell did not happen as the initial operators had not arrived
in time to get a complete orientation of the controls for the new TX and RX
antenna features.  There were some high rate hours (for us) but the band really
never extended itself much beyond the continent.

I will not repeat the lament that has been so profusely iterated by so many.
No prop to EU.  One AF and one EU the first night;  that's all folks.  The
Pacific was more kind to us.  VK, ZL, HL, T32, VR, YC, UA9, BV worked easily.
Missed the few minute opportunity for the 9M.  Just couldn't break the west
coast curtain.

Stateside was kind and generous.  Worked WAS but DQ in DC was a no-show.

Final first night figures were 772 Qs, 56 S/P, and 22 DXCC including 38 JAs.

Last year the 2nd night was a boon when the spotlight from EU shown on the USA
southwest.  This year a single episode describes the condition for that path
from our part of the world.  I listened for many minutes while Superstation
N7JW in Utah went through various and numerous gyrations before finally getting
a completed contact with Superstation DR1A in Germany.  We were able to put one
G station in the log for a 2nd EU mult.  'Nuff said!!!!

My observation was a significantly diminished number of stations operating this
year.  Normally the band is filled with stations up to and even above 1900.  I
personally never heard a single station above 1870 this year.

Here are some stats which show the significant difference between banner year
2011 and this latest attempt.

           2011          2012

Qs        1,355         1,184

S/P         59            59

DX          67            34

EU         107             3

JA          81            46

Claimed    603,666     303,831
Score

My sincere wish is that there is NO FLARE for the CQ 160 SSB four weeks hence.
Hmmmm.  Those things do occur on a Lunar cycle don't they?  Oh well.

Top Band, alias 160 Meters, truly is a fickle lady.  I suppose her mystique is
what keeps so many of us entranced year after year.  You just never know what
she is going to dish up for supper.

And finally, thanks to the ops at HK0NA, T32XX and VP6T for the DXped
contacts.

73 de Milt, N5IA