[3830] CQ160 CW WD5COV Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wd5cov@vtc.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW WD5COV Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 22:35:59 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: WD5COV
Operator(s): WD5COV
Station: WD5COV

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NM
Operating Time (hrs): 24

Total:  QSOs = 867  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 31  Total Score = 225,720

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

I started out the first hour working S&P but 58 Q's into the contest my
FT-1000MP Mark V TX failed. I scrambled to swap it out with a spare FT-920.
After this setback I could tell this one was going to be a grind.

Usually the first night I work all states. Not this year. This contest I never
heard Alaska. I also did not work DC, VE5, and the usual NWT,YT,NU,LB.

Conditions to Europe were way way down this year. I only made a few EU
contacts. I also did not work VK or ZL. Managed about 50 JA contacts the first
night with good conditions into Asia and the northern pacific. The second night
I only worked a few more JA's.

The bright spot was working two new countries, NH0J and VR2. Both VR2 stations
I worked had great signals and could hear well also.

So this year I made fewer contacts, worked fewer countries, operated six hours
less time, and had rig failure which resulted in a much lower score. The second
night I was real tired and decided to shut down early. My Q rate was very low at
this point anyway. I would grade my effort in this one a C-.

Rig: FT-920
Amp: Alpha 77Dx
ANT: 4SQ Array

CU next year >