[3830] CQ160 CW W8JI Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve7zo@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW W8JI Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 19:04:24 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: W8JI
Operator(s): KM3T, K1TO, W8JI, VE7ZO
Station: W8JI

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 34

Total:  QSOs = 1660  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 66  Total Score = 694,375

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

With the lingering upset conditions from the solar disturbance, we thought that
perhaps the southeast might be in a favorable position in this year's edition
of the CQ 160M.  And that proved true....well at least for the first 24 hours.
EA5RS quietly appeared at 2144Z on Saturday and we hoped that this was the
harbinger of better things to come.  And it was, sort of.  We worked more EU
stations on Saturday but there were none that were strong or moderately strong.
 Occasionally the QSB would allow for a station to rise above the noise floor
and then quickly disappear.  Checking the reported scores, it appeared the line
of demarcation for fully decent condx apparently was drawn somewhere in northern
W4.

RBN analysis shows the dramatic falloff vividly.  DK9IP's Skimmer shows 20
K1LZ, 19 W2GD, 14 K1DG, 16 K3ZM and *one* W8JI spot on Saturday night, even
though we chose the 4-sq to EU for much of the 2nd night, in contrast to omni
most of Friday night.  G4HSO's Skimmer at least shows us on the board, but
frequently with the weakest signal.  GW8IZR only shows DG and GD -- very odd.

Overall, the station worked very well and the new set of EU phased beverages
was worth the effort.  We used another K3 this time at the 2nd station and the
productivity went up since the run signal was not even audible at times.  The
run K3 developed repeated 12V failures Saturday afternoon.  Just 30 mins later,
Tom returned with a fully-repaired rig.  Further station optimization issues
were addressed quietly throughout the course of the weekend.

We had hoped to work NH0J and did so right at their sunset (our Sunday AM) like
clockwork.  Having worked W1NN in OH, we thought maybe NH0J was canceled, but
Hal reported on 3830 that he was operatingly remotely from Saipan.

194 EU, 0 AF, 14 AS (12 JA, 7Z, 5B).  T32 and VP6 both called us.  Worked 3
VK6s 1st night.  Missed RA0 and XU7ACY (who we thought might've been calling us
at his SS).  Worked WL7E just before SR to complete WAS (his 3830 post is
interesting re condx up there).  HL5IVL was an iffy QSO at SR and wasn't
logged.  No LA or OH; only SK7DX.  One UA3.  Chased endless Skimmer spots for
OH, LA, UA0, YB, etc. to no avail.

Great commeraderie, competitiveness and numerous operational tools made time
pass enjoyably even though the conditions could have been better.  Thanks to
Tom for getting the station working so well for the multi set up + Dave KM3T
and Dan K1TO for making the trip to GA.

vy 73, Jim VE7ZO