[3830] CQ160 CW AC6DD Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ac6dd@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW AC6DD Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 21:55:34 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: AC6DD
Operator(s): AC6DD
Station: AC6DD

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 25

Total:  QSOs = 706  State/Prov = 56  Countries = 28  Total Score = 192,108

Club:

Comments:

This was my fifth CQ 160 CW portable operation from the Piedras Blancas
Lighthouse. Every year is a different adventure.
It was the first time we had no storm during the contest weekend, or so I
thought.  But the weather was truly fantastic.

This year Charles W6UM helped me with setting up the antennas and equipment. It
was the first time that the station was operational late on Thursday,
but I still had quite a bit of work on Friday with the ground system.

A few problems pop up every year, luckily this year they were pretty minor.

After we set up the receive 4 square and return to the Lighthouse, Jim - the
site Manager asks:
"How come you set it up in a patch of Poison Oak?
Didn't you see the small red flags I put there "? Uh? (I did get some Poison
Oak on me, mostly during the removal)

The power line to the South East was very noisy.  In the past you could barely
tell it was there, not this time.
Also a strange meandering noise only a few kHz wide stayed around for the whole
weekend.  I could not figure it out.

There is work going on at the Lighthouse.  Pulling a chunk of Aluminum up
across the nice newly painted surface was not a good idea,
So the work crew raised it for us with a boom lift.  Now that was easy!

Unfortunately I did not even hear any EU stations this year. JA stations were
down 50% from last year.

After the long slow first night I only got to sleep for about two hours before
the work going on at the Lighthouse wakes me up.
One guy decided to stay and work on Saturday.

With the newly found spare time I set up a low dipole over the bluff to use
with the second RX.  That was wasted time.
My K3 sub RX has some strange noise problems, like some digital artifacts.  I
really think that I am starting to dislike this radio.
Originally I intended to set up a phased beverage to EU, but the poison oak
changed that plan.

The second night was much tougher staying up, and it was also much colder.  So
early in the morning I turn on the heater and
CQ, CQ...CQ......Z...ZZZ...Z...ZZZZ.
What wakes me up an hour later is that I hear VE5UF calling someone on the
frequency I fell asleep on. I need him!  I tried to call him, but he is gone!

Of the "easy": ones I Never worked VE5 or even heard the HI3 or CO station that
others have reported working.
The only other multiplier that I called, but could not work was HS0ZEE, a few
other Asian 10 pointers with decent signals went unworked.

The wife and kids ages 4 and 7 came by on Sunday to "help" with the removal.
We finish at about dusk.

http://www.ac6dd.com/2012/pb/pb1.jpg
http://www.ac6dd.com/2012/pb/pb2.jpg
http://www.ac6dd.com/2012/pb/pb3.jpg
http://www.ac6dd.com/2012/pb/pb4.jpg

                              2012 CQ-160-CW AC6DD
                            QSOs MADE IN EACH COUNTRY

     Country               Prefix   160   80   40   20   15   10  Total
Percent
     -------               ------  ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----  -----
-------
   1 Jamaica                 6Y       1    -    -    -    -    -      1
0.14
   2 West Malaysia           9M2      1    -    -    -    -    -      1
0.14
   3 Taiwan                  BV       1    -    -    -    -    -      1
0.14
   4 China                   BY       2    -    -    -    -    -      2
0.28
   5 Bahamas                 C6       2    -    -    -    -    -      2
0.28
   6 Chile                   CE       1    -    -    -    -    -      1
0.14
   7 Martinique              FM       1    -    -    -    -    -      1
0.14
   8 Ecuador                 HC       1    -    -    -    -    -      1
0.14
   9 Colombia                HK       1    -    -    -    -    -      1
0.14
  10 Malpelo Island          HK0/m    1    -    -    -    -    -      1
0.14
  11 South Korea             HL       1    -    -    -    -    -      1
0.14
  12 Japan                   JA      54    -    -    -    -    -     54
7.58
  13 United States           K      571    -    -    -    -    -    571
80.20
  14 Northern Mariana Isl.   KH0      1    -    -    -    -    -      1
0.14
  15 Hawaii                  KH6      8    -    -    -    -    -      8
1.12
  16 Alaska                  KL       2    -    -    -    -    -      2
0.28
  17 U.S. Virgin Islands     KP2      1    -    -    -    -    -      1
0.14
  18 Argentina               LU       1    -    -    -    -    -      1
0.14
  19 Curacao                 PJ2      1    -    -    -    -    -      1
0.14
  20 Brazil                  PY       2    -    -    -    -    -      2
0.28
  21 Eastern Kiribati        T32      1    -    -    -    -    -      1
0.14
  22 Asiatic Russia          UA9      7    -    -    -    -    -      7
0.98
  23 Belize                  V3       2    -    -    -    -    -      2
0.28
  24 Canada                  VE      33    -    -    -    -    -     33
4.63
  25 Australia               VK       3    -    -    -    -    -      3
0.42
  26 Pitcairn Island         VP6      1    -    -    -    -    -      1
0.14
  27 Hong Kong               VR       2    -    -    -    -    -      2
0.28
  28 Mexico                  XE       7    -    -    -    -    -      7
0.98
  29 Indonesia               YB       1    -    -    -    -    -      1
0.14
  30 New Zealand             ZL       1    -    -    -    -    -      1
0.14

K3, SDR-IQ, ACOM2000A,
LIghthouse supported vertical about 60' wire + 40' aluminum
DXE RX4S
Trailer, wire, coax, duct tape, shovel, heater, pizza, beer, coffee etc....

Niko AC6DD