[3830] RTTY WPX PJ2/WI9WI(@PJ2T) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jhfitzpa@wisc.edu
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX PJ2/WI9WI(@PJ2T) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 06:25:15 -0800
                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: PJ2/WI9WI
Operator(s): WI9WI
Station: PJ2T

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Santa Marta, Curacao
Operating Time (hrs): 18

------------
   80:    0
   40:  107
   20:  214
   15:  292
   10:  401
------------

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

We came down mainly for ARRL CW, but my wife, KA9DOC, and I decided to come down
a bit early to vacate for a few days and I would also give WPX RTTY and the NA
Phone Sprint a bit of a spin.

Although myself and others have operated RTTY from here in the past the station
isn't really set up for RTTY contesting. Most have used either their own laptops
or used MMTTY on the station's computers as a standalone running/logging
program. There are two digital interfaces here but I am mostly unfamiliar with
either of hem. I decided to use my laptop on which I can use either WriteLog or
N1MM and the MMTTY engine and my West Mountain Radio interface. I started
setting up about an hour before the contest. Usually this would take about 10
minutes, but I could not get the line in on the laptop to work. There was no
input from the radio audio. I spent a whole lot of time screwing around trying
to figure out the problem. I finally gave up after about two and a half hours.
It seems to be a hardware problem and probably unfixable on site here. So I
then spent some time installing software on one of the station's computers and
getting WriteLog and MMTTY interfaced. This went without a problem and I was
finally on the air about 0230. I ran off some Qs on 20 and then went to 40. I'm
sure I was an alligator on 40. I could see a lot of stations calling me, but
they were weak and only occasionally would one print well. I was very tired
from travelling and gave up about 0500. After a good night's sleep I was back
at it. The high bands were good, especially 15 and 10. I didn't intend to make
a full bore effort, and ended up spending about 18 hours in the contest. On
Saturday night I took some time off and spent about 45 minutes in the NA Phone
Sprint on 20.

I think these are the first operations from PJ2 in either WPX RTTY and the
Sprint. It was fun and thanks for all the QSOs.

See everyone in ARRL CW.

73

Jim