[3830] ARRLDX CW PI4TUE M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, pc5a@amsat.org
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW PI4TUE M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 18:02:39 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: PI4TUE
Operator(s): ON9CC, PA0SHY, PA3FGA, PA5MW, PC5A, PE2HD
Station: PI4TUE

Class: M/S HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 42

  160:   83    20
   80:  248    38
   40:  481    50
   20:  872    56
   15:  888    58
   10:   21    13
-------------------
Total: 2593   235  Total Score = 1,828,065

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

Station setup:
TenTec Orion I + amp, controlled by N1MM V12.2.0
160M sloper fed at 65mtrs above ground
80M horizontal full size loop @ 65mtrs above ground
40M vertical (HF2V)
20M+15+10M 3 ele Yagi (SteppIR) @ 65mtr above ground
NEW: BOG (Beverage On Ground) RX antenna, length ~80mtr

We aimed to break our personal 2010 QSO record, meaning > 3300 QSO's with some
help of propagation, a RX antenna that actually works on our noisy contest site
(= university campus with a lot of man made noise) and a second station to work
all the band map QSO spots.

To make it short, we had help from one out of three (the BOG) and already after
the first night that was not enough to reach our target. We were lagging the
2010 score after the first hours and never gained. In the end we did beat our
2011 claimed score by 330Q's and 15 Mults.

The BOG worked, although we had to repair it twice since it is an excellent
antenna to have people or dogs trip over. In the past we tried a lot of other
RX antennas, like K9AY on the ground and on top of the building 250FT, Flag on
top of the building, short vertical on the ground and on top of the building,
magnetic loop on top of the building, etc... none of them ever "outperfomed"
the TX antennas on 160m and 80m. The BOG however did, even when being so
short.

We had expected to work much more on 160M and 80M with at least some sort of
"ears" compared to previous times where we had to rely on the TX antennas
only.

The second station could not get setup properly in time in such a way that we
had reliable protection of the font ends and interlock; hopefully by next
contest. Not having the second station meant some more off times for the 5
operators (one called in sick just before the contest).

Some highlights
- Working all US states on 15 and 20mtr, never dreamed this would be possible
this year
-  The nice runs with last ten rates crossing the 300 barrier
- 6 band QSO's: K3LR    KC1XX   N4WW    NQ4I    NR4M    W3LPL

CU ALL in the SSB part, occasionally with two female operators.

73
-- Aurelio, PC5A