[3830] ARRLDX CW JA1BPA SOSB/10 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, icko@yahoo.co.jp
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW JA1BPA SOSB/10 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 17:11:23 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: JA1BPA
Operator(s): JA1BPA
Station: JA1BPA

Class: SOSB/10 HP
QTH: Chiba Prefecture
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:   32
   15:    7
   10:  438    48
-------------------
Total:  438    48  Total Score = 63,072

Club: University of Tokyo Contest Club

Comments:

I was planning to operate this one from the usual JG1ZUY station in Kimitsu
City, Chiba, which has an excellent 7 element Yagi on 10mb.  However, an
unusual snow accumulation in Chiba area (the first heavy accumulation in 5
years!) on Saturday morning prevented me from driving the steep mountainous
road to get there, and I had to compromise by operating from a smaller shack
with a 4 element Yagi.

I did not have high expectations, since 10mb propagation was not really active
since last December, but the results have turned out to be better that what I
expected.  The only thing that I really regret is that I switched off my radio
too early on Sunday morning (local time) and missed a short opening to the East
Coast at around noon (0300 UTC).  This is the most unusual time to have an
opening to the East Coast, but I should have stayed longer on the radio then.

Otherwise, I tried every thinkable paths, such as long path opening to the East
Coast at local night around 1300 UTC by which I worked W3LPL, WE3C, and K1RX,
and a skewed path via VK/ZL to work KC1XX.

I appreciate those who worked with me during the contest, particularly those
from rare states such as ME, MS, ND, SD, and WV.

I will not be able to operate full time during the SSB portion, but hope to be
QRV on 10mb again.

Best 73,

Icko, JA1BPA