[3830] ARRLDX CW 8S0DX SOSB/80 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, leif.gothlin@glocalnet.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW 8S0DX SOSB/80 LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 11:46:40 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: 8S0DX
Operator(s): 8S0DX
Station: 8S0DX

Class: SOSB/80 LP
QTH: Onion Island, Sweden
Operating Time (hrs): 16

  160:
   80:  28     15
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  28     15  Total Score = 1,260

Club:

Comments:

Well, frustration even before starting - amplifier broke down just a few hours
before start, so had to operate on 80 meters just barefoot (but with my socks
on due to a cold polar night).

At midnight when contest started it was obvious that a great polar light just
had hit the northern part of Europe - couldnÂ't work a single contact until
sunrise made 7 qsos possible here while the rest of Europe just went on with
their contacts the whole night through ...... but thatÂ's the way it is
sometimes.

What a relief to find the band was a bit better the last 2 hours of the contest
when ½ of my contacts during the whole contest were made!! Amazing however how
low power (95 watts) can achieve due to a good TX-antenna. I was using my
1/4-wave vertical located on the ice of the frozen Baltic Sea. Thanks to all of
you professional amateurs who didnÂ't give up until they had my full callsign in
the log in spite of the extremely bad conditions for you to hear a very weak
signal coming from me through the aurora in the atmospere.
                                                                  73 from Leif
(8S0DX alias SM0DSG)