[3830] ARRLDX CW EE5E(@EA5RS) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW EE5E(@EA5RS) M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 14:23:56 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: EE5E
Operator(s): EA5BY, EA5FID, EA5GTQ, EA5RS
Station: EA5RS

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Punta Prima (IM97PW)
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  184    43
   80:  311    51
   40: 1197    57
   20: 1071    58
   15:  939    58
   10:  179    46
-------------------
Total: 3881   313  Total Score = 3,640,503

Club: LYNX DX GROUP

Comments:

Work commitments prevented us from arriving at the station until 1,5 hours
before the start of the contest.
We deployed our 80m inverted vee and the ground radials for the 160m vertical,
set up computers using Win-Test for the first time and we were then ready to
go.
First night we enjoyed fair propagation on 40 but 160 was terrible with only 3
QSOs.
We quickly realized Skimmers did not like our ditty call. We were seldom
spotted on the RBN, and most of them incorrectly, showing up as EI5E or similar
on the clusters. We attribute the very high number of duplicates to this fact.

The 2-3 hours following our sunrise were extremely slow as 40 closed very fast
and 20 did not open until near sunrise in NA.
We jumped to 15 as early as we could, but 10 never seemed to open and the
operator reported difficulties working any multipliers .... it was not until
Sunday that I realized why: in the rush to set up the station the night before,
we wired the wrong antenna to the multiplier station and we were on a low
tribander we use to work EU which is actually pointed 90 degrees off our 300
degree USA heading !!!
Saturday night was MUCH better on the low bands.
Sunday afternoon we tried to catch up on our very low 10m numbers and then
almost skipped 15m to go to 20m and increase our low QSO count on that band
which we had found almost dead the day before when we quit 15m.
Didn't realy move multipliers from band to band. Notable exceptions include
NM's N2IC from 15 to 10 for a successful QSO (thank you Steve), and WV's AA8UL
from 40 to 80 where we did not QSO, but threw UL into CR3L's freq who did the
QSO (you are welcome!).
All in all we had a great time.
I think this will be our last activity as EE5E from EA5RS, farewell our ditty
call !!!
Thank you for all the Q's .

73, Juan EA5RS on behalf of EE5E team