[3830] CQ160 SSB WA2VYA Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wa2vya@msn.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB WA2VYA Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 08:16:36 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: WA2VYA
Operator(s): WA2VYA
Station: WA2VYA

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: Tallahassee FL
Operating Time (hrs): 15:22

Total:  QSOs = 462  State/Prov = 52  Countries = 11  Total Score = 65,457

Club:

Comments:

ICOM IC-756PROIII 500W to 160m Inverted Vee, apex 55 feet.

Operated Single Op unassisted during first half of the contest, then switched
to assisted to familiarize myself with N1MM logging program and radio control.
Previously, for several years have been paper logging and always unassisted.
Decided to finally get with the program...  This will also help when I operate
from the Turks and Caicos Islands as part of the VP5T team for the CQ WW DX
Phone Contest in October.

Previously, have operated this contest from New Jersey, and it is a different
world here in North Florida.  I have some land and trees to put the antenna up
higher and the conditions are different.  The biggest differenc is some space
on the band to find a hole and call CQ.  I could hold a frequency and people
actually answered me, for a change.

Up north, I used to work a lot of Canadians, and of course, the first three USA
districts.  This year, Canadians and the USA northeast was sparse; made up for
by boatloads of W4s.  The band was good out to about 600 miles and then
abruptly...nothing, for the first night,until the wee hours after the
geomagnetic disturbance, or whatever that was, calmed down.  Those up north
seemed rather traumatized by the band conditiions. The lack of northerners was
made up for by southerners, but the Caribbean did not replace the Canadians.

Unlike most contests, this seemed like a series of regional contests
world-wide.

This was a full weekend.  I opted to participate in the Mississippi and North
Carolina QSO Parties, too.  The Mississippi one overlapped with CQ 160 and I
opted for the counties.

Was fun!
73, Frank, WA2VYA