[3830] ARRLDX SSB W4ZV SOSB/10 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, btippett@alum.mit.edu
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W4ZV SOSB/10 QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 15:14:29 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W4ZV
Operator(s): W4ZV
Station: W4ZV

Class: SOSB/10 QRP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 1

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:  81     24
-------------------
Total:  81     24  Total Score = 5,832

Club:

Comments:

Last summer I picked up a mis-assembled KSB2 on the cheap to add to my 2004
vintage K2.  After fixing a few assembly problems and installing the updated
crystal set, I checked it out with a few QSOs but had not used it much on
SSB since then.

Yesterday I decided to pull it out and try a few QSOs on 10m in the ARRL
contest.  Wow what a pleasant experience!  The SSB received audio sounds
absolutely great and my TX audio (Heil HC4 headset) worked well enough to
get through to most stations in just a few calls.  I was amazed to actually
break a modest pileup on FO5QB!

After ~1 hour of purely S&P operating, I had 81 QSOs in 24 countries,
including all continents except Asia (not heard due to poor conditions).  Of
course stacked 6el Yagis deserve a little credit!  :-)

Thank you Elecraft for a great QRP rig...even on SSB!

73,  Bill  W4ZV