[3830] ARRLDX SSB VA3DF SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dferris1@cogeco.ca
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB VA3DF SOAB QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 17:08:24 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VA3DF
Operator(s): VA3DF
Station: VA3DF

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Ontario
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    1     1
   80:   16    16
   40:   74    45
   20:  159    69
   15:  181    60
   10:   54    29
-------------------
Total:  485   220  Total Score = 320,100

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Found conditions to be extremely frustrating! I always have a difficult time on
the first night but have gotten used to that and now just look forward to the
Saturday morning opening to EU. Problem is that this year's opening to EU was
not up to par, i.e. it stunk! So being an optimist, I figured when 15 opens
things will get better - not!

Sure there was something there but nothing at all like last year... I had no
great expectations for 10 and that band certainly lived up to my expectations -
actually it was better than I anticipated but certainly nothing even close to CQ
WW. So with sub par condx and only 5 watts it was bit of a slog all contest. At
least with power you can run but I was not able to get a sustained run going
all weekend and that was probably my biggest disappointment, as I'm a bit of a
run junkie! All weekend S&P, S&P and them more S&P....

However, on the positive side, I had a lot of fun. Lots of positive things to
remember, but unfortunately I'm too tired from lack of sleep to remember what
they were! Probably, worked for about 41-42 hours of the contest. Aha, I do
remember something good - hearing a VK on 40 early Saturday AM - he was loud
enough to be a local and was worked with one call.

Next year, things will be different.

As usual, it's a jungle out there when you run qrp!

73,

Doug
VA3DF