[3830] ARRLDX SSB J88DR(G3TBK) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB J88DR(G3TBK) SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 05:07:47 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: J88DR
Operator(s): G3TBK
Station: J88DR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: St. Vincent
Operating Time (hrs): 36

  160:    0     0
   80:  355    49
   40:  590    55
   20: 1288    59
   15: 1298    57
   10: 1419    55
-------------------
Total: 4950   275  Total Score = 4,083,750

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

Small increase in QSO total over last year, but multipliers were down slightly,
so claimed score a fraction lower.
However I was pleased to finish with my highest ever single-op QSO total. Can't
imagine how some single-ops manage 40+ hours of operating. Certainly impossible
for an old-age pensioner like me!

Very strange LF condx on Friday night, with only a handful of stations heard.
In retrospect I would have done better to have had a good sleep!
St. Vincent had very severe rain storms over the last few days, which only
relented on Sunday - these probably contributed to the poor 80m condx as static
levels were high.

Ten meters was good both days, although the opening at any time was localised.
Fortunately the favoured States changed as the hours ticked by.

Rig Icom IC-7000, 100 Watts. Antennas A3S and dipoles.

As usual the quality of State-side signals was very good - but there were a
very small number of exceptions. 3 or 4 very strong signals on 10m were almost
unreadable - either due to being severely over-driven, over compressed or
suffering RF Feedback - or likely all three together!

Judging by the sudden huge pile-ups I have to assume that the majority of
stations are using assistance. This was born out by the way I was suddenly
called for lots of dupe contacts at times.

In summary, a fun weekend and I hope to do it all again next time if my XYL
renews my pass-out!

73 Dave J88DR / G3TBK