[3830] ARRLDX SSB N0KE SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n0ke@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N0KE SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 06:46:32 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N0KE
Operator(s): N0KE
Station: N0KE

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CO DM69em
Operating Time (hrs): 34

  160:    9     8
   80:   40    25
   40:   73    42
   20:  234    66
   15:  406    73
   10:  232    49
-------------------
Total:  994   263  Total Score = 784,266

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

It was good to have a reasonable run of JAs on 10 and 15 and both included a
fair number of YB, DU, HL, UA0, BD, VK and a few others. Attempts to run Europe
were pretty futile. There was something strange going on for us in Colorado on
the Europe path Sunday morning as stations to the west of us in CA and AZ were
having no trouble working Europe on 20 and 15 but the few I could work with HP
were weak and difficult and not plentiful? A friend in San Diego who only runs
QRP called in to say HI as I was on 15 trying to run Europe. He was 59+20-30
off the back and said he had worked a decent number of Europeans on both 20 and
15. I'd suspect there was some type of E skip to the west coast that sent the
Europeans right over Colorado as it is less than 800 miles airline to San Diego
from my QTH in Western CO. It was nice to work James 9V1YC on 40, 5H3EE on 15,
and LX7I on 80 for one of a few EU QSOs on that band. Even worked one JA on 80
running 50W! TI5N and KH6LC were the only ones wkd on all 6 bands and there
were several 5 banders including 3 JAs that can not use SSB on 160. I heard
RA0FM and CR6K on 160 but no QSOs but they were in my 5 band club.
As others have noted in recent years, I had almost as many US stations and one
VE3 answer CQs as DX? My tactic was to call "CQ ARRL DX contest" a few times
when one called but that didn't always work and then I'd explain that it is a
DX contest where the US and Canada work the rest of the world and that there
was plenty of DX and they should try working some! Not all of these callers had
2x3 calls but their 1x3 calls could have been vanity calls. Some were pretty
persistent and kept calling and I'd give them a report and tell them I was not
logging the QSO. Maybe we need to add states/providences to the mult list73
Phil N0KE