[3830] ARRLDX SSB II9T(IT9GSF) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, fabio.grisafi@libero.it
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB II9T(IT9GSF) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 09:41:43 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: II9T
Operator(s): IT9GSF
Station: IT9GSF

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 29

  160:  107    27
   80:  337    44
   40:  392    46
   20: 1116    60
   15:  902    52
   10:  259    28
-------------------
Total: 3113   257  Total Score = 2,400,000

Club:

Comments:

II9T - 2012 INTERNATIONAL DX CONTEST SSB is a particular contest for me.

ARRL Int DX SSB Contest was my first contest in 1982, 30 yrs ago!

I was 18 and won a plaque sponsored by Mr. John Lindhom, W1XX, for the first
place in Sicily after his visit to my island for an hamvention. I won the
plaque with about 1000 QSOs on 10 meters only, no other participants that time
in Sicily, except IT9ZGY.

After 30 years there are still few very bad operators in Sicily, QRMing the
bands (nino and others), and there are some good operators that are trying to
build a good contest station and good operators are coming (IT9EQO Antonello
and IT9CJC Marcello are very good engineers and the other operators in II9P
station are doing big work in operating skill, IT9AUG Carmelo is a very good
boy with a lot of promising things in his mind).

II9P station will make good scores in the future if operators will improve
their operating skill, but they need some good help by foreigners. I will be
there in the future.

Other station in Sicily have good performers, but they are not growing any
more... because of their "fighetti" style.

I hope the future will give some good honor to this QTH (Sicily) with a so bad
reputation. But, from now and in the future do not say hello to me with an
extension to Nino! I don't know him and I cannot do anything. There is not an
Ham Radio Association in Italy, and this is the problem!

About the contest, I started for two hours on 40 meters then QRT because of an
amplifier's fault. I decided to turn off and go to sleep. Saturday morning I
repaired the amplifier. I was thinking it was the output relay (last year
nightmare, Oleg HI!). It was a bad soldering on an RCA connector, SIGH ! :-(
All the first night lost...

I decided to participate anyway, it was my 30 anniversary!
So worked the bands at the best except some other QRTs because the idea was
that wasn't possible to win. It was not the right idea, after the contest now
I think that with no other QRTs it was possible to get the best score for
Europe.
Best rate was on 20 meters on Saturday with 4 hours at over 200 QSO/Hr rate.
The Band (20) remained open till 23Z and then it was to QRT for an hour because
I had to eat and rest few minutes (bud idea, my signal on 40 was very good an
hour later). Then I started the night on 80 till 01Z/40 till 02Z/80 till
04Z/160 at my sunrise/ and then 40 till 0630Z. So few hours on 40 and few mults
on that band.
With the same idea that was not possible to get a good score, I decided to go
on 10 meters for hours the second day only. Few signals from big stations at 13
and 14Z. Noisy bands because of a flare and big absorption at the D layer on 20
mts. I hoped for improved conditions on 10 but some ESP conditions arrived for
south East coast stations only (what a QTH is Florida!). Then at 16Z the 10 mts
band opened for a good 150 QSO/Hr rate but signals were always very weak and no
signals were coming from Rocky mountains and Western states.
Then I went back to 15 and 20 that were widely open to all USA and Canada (weak
signals from CA, WA, OR, WA, BC, AB) and the rate was again over 100 QSO/Hr but
not so good as the day be4.

That is all for now. I thank all the stationsâ?? operators that had patience
working me, hope to meet all af you in the 2042 ARRL Int DX Contest. It will be
my 60 anniversary and I will be 78! Maybe the year 2052 also!
Thank you very much, see you soon, good bye!

Fabio, IT9GSF (II9T).