[3830] ARRLDX SSB WN6K SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, WN6K@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB WN6K SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 17:47:09 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: WN6K
Operator(s): WN6K
Station: WN6K

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: Vista, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 24:44

  160:    0     0
   80:   13    12
   40:  177    46
   20:   74    52
   15:  272    77
   10:  230    50
-------------------
Total:  766   237  Total Score = 544,626

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

With a weekend planned around Family Gatherings, I knew that this was going to
be a somewhat casual event that coincided with the slump in Solar Slumber.

Using the two VFO panels on Writelog in conjunction with Packet Pouncing proved
to help maximize what time I had available. I would run JA's on one panel
letting the other VFO fill up with some yellow spots, flip over and try to
gather the mults and go back to trying to pick up where I left off.

Still getting used to tactic learning of owning a SteppIR antenna - really
handy to be able to 180 at the push of a button (rotor should last till 2020 at
this rate) but 40M has a different 'problem' on SSB. If you pick (or hear) a DX
station in the lower part of their band, the split is always on the wrong VFO
for the transmit 'tuning' of the antenna so one has to flip the VFOs after
clicking which seems like a nuisance in search of a solution.  Maybe there is
but then I have not been at this game that long.  I also found that on 40m,
since the DB18 is a 'shorty forty', I would turn off the AUTOTRACK of the
SteppIR and touch the FINE tuning button on the Frequency Adjust buttons to
refine the element lengths on the fly which helped keep things 'happier' on the
FT-1000 Mark V.

94 DXCC entities were worked - I KNOW there were much more out there but was
unwilling to sit in the Welfare Line long enough to try and get through when
there were just other stations out there to work much more easily.

Thanks for the comments of the friends out there in the 'heat of the battle' to
stop and comment on the performance of the new antenna.

WN6K, Paul