[3830] CQ160 SSB NI5T(@N5BG) Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB NI5T(@N5BG) Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 19:44:54 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: NI5T
Operator(s): N5IA, N5BG, K7FA, N7AM, W5CF
Station: N5BG

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: NM
Operating Time (hrs): 26

Total:  QSOs = 604  State/Prov = 55  Countries = 13  Total Score = 91,936

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

I suppose I have put this off as long as I reasonably can.  Topband was out in
her most capricious self this past weekend.  What more can I say than what has
already been said by most everyone who has reported to 3830.  Let me sum it all
up in these two words: Poor propagation.

Let me dwell a bit on comparative statistics.  Four weeks earlier in the CW
version of this contest this same station with three of the same operators made
1,184 Qs in 59 States/Provinces and 34 DX entities for a final score of 303,831.
 One half the Qs, 4 less S/P, and 21 less DX resulted in a score of less than
ONE THIRD.  What a difference 4 weeks make.

It was great to have Tom, K7FA, join the group as well as regulars Dave, N7AM
and Rick, W5CF.  I apologize for not being able to conjure up better
propagation for their delight.  As they say, there is always next year.

FIRST NIGHT:  No contacts before 0000Z.  Normally we put 30-40 Qs in the first
two official hours of the contest.  A harbinger of things to come.

Our best hours were 0400 and 0500 when we put 45 Qs in the log each hour.  For
5 hours, 0800 through 1200 hours, the hourly totals were in the teens.

All three 10 pointers we worked were during the first night; one South America
(thanks Al), one Oceania, and one Asia.  Never heard EU or AF either night.  No
VK or ZL heard either.

Total first night Qs; a few over 300.

NIGHT TWO: Prop was a tad better.  We added to the WAS total with a few of the
New England states.  In the end no VT and no DC.  The ussual VE suspects played
hide and no seek.  Total VE Qs = 23; THANKS.

We had 40, five point Qs; the 23 VEs, 6 XEs, and 11 more spread out from the
Carribean to KL7.

Thank goodness for short skip (????) if there is such a thing on Topband.  Our
three neighboring states of CA-84, AZ-39, and TX-48 provided fully 28% of our
total Qs.  If we add in our own state of NM-20 and neighboring state to the
north, CO-16, the percentage is up to 34.  THIRTY FOUR % of the total contacts
from just 5 local states.

The midwest and east coast Qs were significantly lower than normal.  Here are
some of the numbers.

Honors east of TX were MN & OH with 15 Qs from each.  MI had 11, IN was 10.  NC
was high from the east coast with 6 and NY was only 4.  For a long time; deep
into the 2nd night, we thought NY was going to be a NIL.

The high rate hour for night two was 0400 with 43 Qs in the log.  It tapered
off from there with only TWO Qs the 1100 hour.  On a rebound, the 1200 hour saw
22 more go into the log.

We have been asked in the past if our multi-position, full duplex operation was
effective and beneficial.  All I can say is without the other two positions, it
would have been a more drastic score reduction.

For the numbers; Position 1 = CQ position = 445 Qs.  Position 2 = Main S&P =
108 Qs.  Position 3 = 2nd S&P = 51 Qs.  The S&P positions provided 27% of the
total Qs.

DX worked included C6, CE, CM, FM, HI, KH6, KL, KP2, KP4, UA9, XE and ZF.
Apparently some Carribean and Central American mults worked by others were
never heard at our location.

Thanks to all the stations that called in to our station.  We appreciate your
time and effort to make it into the NI5T log.