[3830] ARRLDX SSB K7RL SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K7RL SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 21:48:13 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K7RL
Operator(s): K7RL
Station: K7RL

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: WA
Operating Time (hrs): 43
Radios: SO2R

  160:   11     8
   80:   60    38
   40:  537    70
   20: 1144   105
   15:  821    69
   10:  212    54
-------------------
Total: 2785   344  Total Score = 2,873,088

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

Congratulations to N9RV on another great score from Montana.

Every contest is different and you never know what curve ball El Sol will throw
next.  This contest proved to be no different with conditions ranging from:
â??Run like the wind!â?? to, â??Where did everyone go?â??

Along the lines of, â??Where did everyone go?â?? 80m and 160m most definitely
fell into that category for me.  160m was especially tough and 80m was not far
behind.

40m was excellent into Asia Saturday morning with signals from the 5 and 50
watt crowd running S9++.  Sunday morning was completely different with
virtually no JAs at all.  Several times I tuned past N2IC busy running JAs that
were totally inaudible here.  EU was unfortunately poor both nights.

20m was fairly typical and proved to be the money band, at least until late
morning when it got tougher to run.

15m was excellent into JA both days, but EU was a big disappointment.  Late
Sunday morning the band finally opened to western EU, with barely audible
signals from the eastern EU big guns.  Once again, guys down south like N7DD
were running stations I could not hear.

10m was better than I expected with good signals from many 50 and 100 watt JA
stations.  Sunday afternoon I asked an HL station to QSY from 15m to 10m, and
he told me there was no propagation, but I convinced him to try anyway.  Turns
out he was just as loud on 10m and we easily made the QSO, which I think
surprised him.  That lead me to believe participation on 10m may have suffered
from a low SFI image problem!

Thanks to all for the Qs!

73 de Mitch, K7RL