[3830] Rus DX T6MO(K9GY) SO CW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k9gy@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] Rus DX T6MO(K9GY) SO CW LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 06:04:15 -0700
                    Russian DX Contest

Call: T6MO
Operator(s): K9GY
Station: T6MO

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: MM21
Operating Time (hrs): 13

  160:
   80:
   40:  191              41        22
   20:   73              22        27
   15:  104              27        28
   10:  107              27        23
Total:  475     0       117       100  Total Score = 690,277

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Broke the 2004 Afghanistan (YA7X) SOABLP-CW 2004 score so was happy with that
(190k).

Got to love it when the public address states during the contest:
"There will be a controlled explosion to the north in ten minutes"

I was really looking forward to this contest since the last one for me was the
ARRL 10m back in December. The ARRL DX CW got wiped out with being in Bagram
due to snow + flight delays. The ARRL DX SSB was a bust from here with poor
propagation. Really thought I could make some hay with being so close to Russia
(10 pts) and Europe (5 pts). Mother Nature had other plans.

There were some frustrating moments in this contest. Seems like this location
suffers from some bad time/propagation slots specifically from sundown to about
4-5 hours later. Same kind of thing happens in the morning after sunrise until
like 8am or 9am. Might just be the geographical location versus ham population
disbursement.

Of course the A index at 20 and K at 4 didn't really help either! Noticed an
improvement when the K fell to 2. RTTY on 40m low in the band was also a pain.
Still haven't fixed the interference problem with the USB keying on 40m and 20m
so sent the exchanges myself. Multiple repeats of serial numbers. In addition,
the T6 prefix doesn't seem to come across very good.

Was surprised that 15m worked out since the radio now only puts out about 40
watts on 15m for some reason. Had a 10m opening around 08z which was nice.
Slept between 330am and 5am with food breaks to the chow hall and associated
work chores in there too.

QSX report (not worked):
JT5DX 10m 0620z
JO1WKO 10m 0627z
KH7X 40m 1355z
K1LZ + KM1W both 40m
AD4Z, NR4M, PY4OG all 30 minutes after local sunrise

Yaesu FT-857D
RadioWavz OCF dipole at approximately 28 feet
WriteLog software

See what happens with WPX SSB as a SOLP-10m entry next weekend.

DAYTON 2012 !

All the best,
Eric K9GY