[3830] Rus DX K2LE(@K2LE/1) SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K2LE@ARRL.NET
Subject: [3830] Rus DX K2LE(@K2LE/1) SO CW HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 20:42:59 -0700
                    Russian DX Contest

Call: K2LE
Operator(s): K2LE
Station: K2LE/1

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:    3     0         3         0
   80:   49     0        22         2
   40:  366     0        57        31
   20:  284     0        52        40
   15:   87     0        32         0
   10:   23     0        10         0
Total:  812     0       177        73  Total Score = 1,091,000

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

My goal was to make a 1000 QSOs and 1 Mil points this year. After looking at the
WWV reports and forecasts, I decided to give up on practicing my Russian ( I had
not spoken it in 56 years) save my sanity and go CW only. It was a rough start.

The SO2R box was acting up, so had use SO2V.
Conditions were strange to say the least - the loudest DX signal was from JT5DX
- go figure. 15 did not open till late in the morning, and I could not get a
decent run going anywhere- in fact I did not have a single 100 hour, because of
numerous requests for repeats. The low bands - ugh. My reversible 2-way Beverage
was useless because of fallen trees shorted it out.At 8 PM I had a score of only
about 400K, but 40 came to the rescue where i felt loud. At 3 AM I had the !M
points, but only 700 Qs, so I packed it in. Got up at 7AM for the last hour -
no signals on 15 again.
Europeans have a huge advantage in this contest, because of thousands of 3
pointers available on all bands within a 1000 mile radius. We have very few
stateside contesters and they worth only 2 points.

Rir: FT-1000 MP, Alpha 87 1 KW
Outdoor Hardware:
160m : Bent vertical "C" dipole apex @ 87'
80m.: Delta loop apex @ 75'