[3830] WPX SSB KJ3X(K4XS) SOSB15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB KJ3X(K4XS) SOSB15 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 03:44:58 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KJ3X
Operator(s): K4XS
Station: KJ3X

Class: SOSB15 HP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): 30

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15: 3036
   10:
------------

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Back in the saddle again after almost two years going QRT from KH7XS!
Conditions sure have changed from when I left FL in 2006.  15 was wall to wall
from sunrise to sunset with signals approaching plus 60 dB at times on the K3.

Since January of 2011 I have been working on this station, getting the anchors
in, building antennas etc.  The station is still in the building process and it
was only last Wednesday I was able to get the 15 meter antennas
running...6/6/6/6 of M2 yagis at 150 feet.  I spent all of Wednesday taking the
cobwebs off the AL 1500 (dirty relays), doing station wiring, doing phasing
harnesses etc.  I was still working on the station Friday afternoon.

Goal was to break the W4 record and maybe get the USA record....did the first,
missed the second.  Piles were huge and as others have noted, very difficult to
find a clear run freq.

First night was good and went to bed with around 400 Qs. Saturday was great
until a forced QRT from thunderstorms at around 0100Z, so I missed lots of
Asians that night.  Sunday was also great with many Russian republics, mideast
and even quite a few HS and VU stations calling in.

Never have worked this many mults in any WPX contest even in the old MS days
with WC4E.

Interesting to note this is a very different contest from W4 than KH6.  The
bands are VERY quiet out there compared to W4.  Finding a run freq is easy with
very little splatter and the run freq is yours for hours on end...no freq
fights.  However, EU is tough and the mult totals suffer even if you have high
QSO rates.

The FL QSO party is in about four weeks and I hope to have 40 though 10 up and
running for that one.  Look for the fifteen 1 X 1 stations in that one that
have F L O R I D A  Q S O  P A R T Y.  Work them and you get a certificate.
I'll be K4I.  More info can be found on the Florida Contest Group site.

Thanks to all who called in and I'll see you in the FQP.