[3830] WPX SSB NV1N(N1UR) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, edsawyer@sbelectronics.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB NV1N(N1UR) SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 18:49:00 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: NV1N
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  217
   40:  348
   20:  711
   15:  934
   10:   76
------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

A really interesting contest and a great outcome.

It looked like 15M was going to be the MONEY band.  And it was.  Again, 10M
was a disappointment but it was a great "bucket" to grab mults on the 2nd
radio, virtually all weekend.  15M was really solid and had the "stay late"
feel to it on both days.  20M was the early band and the late band at the
same time.  40M was typical SSB zoo. It delivered with Qs but its a struggle
to find a slot and then to "hear" anyone calling you except the loudest of
stations.  The 6 point vs 3 point trade is barely worth it on 40M SSB to be
honest.  I actually had good success with 80M, having a nice run Friday
night at EU sunrise.

I really felt "in the zone" in this. Had a great opening evening and was
actually up almost 200Qs by the start of the 20M opening to EU on Saturday
morning.  And A LOT of it was EU 6 pointers!

There were a few times I had to shake off a bad trend of not finding a good
run or the mix of USA and DX I was looking for...but keep moving and keep
looking for the right feel paid off.  And knowing what that feel should
look like, also helps a lot.

In the end, I started realizing that the USA LP record was breakable this
year.  And so it was, as I passed the net number around 1830Z and passed
the number I felt would break the record (5.4 Million) around 2100Z.  I
spent the last few hours trying to hit 6 Million gross and almost got there.

It is fascinating how few JAs made it to the Northeast area in this
contest and the same thing happened last year. Worked a total of 5 JAs
all weekend and none of them were very loud.  I attempted numerous times
to run JA with the beam pointed north.  Picked up a few nice KL7 and
VE mults in the process.  BY and DU were loud but JA was not, for
whatever reason.

Great fun.  I always love this contest.

See you in the CW test in May.

73