[3830] WPX SSB 9M8Z(9M6DXX) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, teleniuslowe@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB 9M8Z(9M6DXX) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 22:36:41 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: 9M8Z
Operator(s): 9M6DXX
Station: 9M8Z

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Sarawak
Operating Time (hrs):

------------
  160:    0
   80:   22
   40:  345
   20: 1094
   15:  743
   10:  472
------------

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

Icom IC-756ProIII, JRC JRL-2000F solid-state amp, Cushcraft X7 tribander at
110ft, Cushcraft 2-ele 40m beam at 120ft, 80m rotatable dipole at 130ft,
Cushcraft A4S tribander (fixed on VK/ZL / long path EU) at 60ft, Create 15m
7-ele 'Long John' on 40ft boom (fixed on EU short path) at 50ft.

Conditions better than expected given the relatively low SSN and flux, and the
recent solar storms, but there was so much activity from Europe that it was
often impossible to find a good run frequency when any band open to EU.

The normally-reliable 20m opening to North America east coast and mid-west
around my sunrise (North America evening time) just did not happen on any of
the three mornings of the contest (0000-0100 Sat, 2300-0100 Sat-Sun, 2300-2400
Sun), yet 20m was good to Europe during my evening (early afternoon UTC) - very
strange conditions. 10m was sort of OK, but still not as good as during the last
solar cycle.

Interesting to compare a 15m high-gain monobander at relatively low height
(50ft) with a tribander at 110ft - the high antenna won out every time.

Thanks to all who called.

73,
Steve, 9M8Z (9M6DXX)