[3830] WPX SSB K5ER(@W5WZ) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5er@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB K5ER(@W5WZ) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 23:21:39 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: K5ER
Operator(s): K5ER
Station: W5WZ

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 35
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    8
   80:   28
   40:  127
   20:  578
   15:  533
   10:  165
------------

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Comments:

Due to some scheduling issues, most of my antenna are still on the ground.
Talked to my "cross town rival" and best friend, W5WZ, who had other
obligations and offered the use of his station. Having seen the effort he put
into building it (w5wz.com), I quickly accepted the offer.

     I had a couple of goals for the contest. My previous high Q count was
1290, and my high score was just over 1.4 million. Scott, who is a rate junkie,
but is often time constrained by Church and family activities, pulled up his
stats from 2010, in which his score was 1.7 million. My goals were set.

     At home, I use a DX-Doubler for SO2R, and typically monitor my own xmit
audio at a low level in one ear and the opposite radio's rx in its
corresponding ear. Scott had an MK2R, set to give the OTHER radio's RX audio in
BOTH ears when transmitting. It was VERY distracting the first night and several
times, I turned the 2nd receiver's volume completely down. After the 1st sleep
break, it got easier and after the 2nd sleep break, Sunday's operating started
to feel more natural.

     Scott feeds his force 12 stack with separate feedlines, so they are truly
"multi-monobanders" on common booms. His low antenna is fixed at EU, and the
mid and top both rotate, however, the top rotor is currently broke, so the best
DX antenna was locked at 270 degrees. I could still move the center one and have
a stack of 2 to Eu and west, and that played well. I use all Icom equipment,
while he uses Yaesu MP's, so I had a learning curve, but the rigs, automation
and amps played very well.

     In the end, I did beat my previous Q count by 149, almost 12% increase.
While Scott loves running, I enjoy a mix of running and S&P. I came up short of
his Q count by 110, however, by adding many more mults, I ended up with 1.96
million points - about 1/4 million above his previous score. I enjoy the
comeraderie(sp?) and in state competition that our Louisiana Contest Club
(N5LCC.COM) has brought, as we keep "one-upping" each other.

     I thank Scott for the use of his nicely designed and equipped station, and
all my many friends and acquaintances for all the contacts. Hope to see some of
you in Dayton.

73,
Mark, K5ER