[3830] WPX SSB OL4A(@OK1RF/OK1RI) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, sanda@jimaz.cz
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB OL4A(@OK1RF/OK1RI) M/2 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 14:56:50 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: OL4A
Operator(s): OK1DO, OK1FFU, OK1RI, OK8WW, OM6NM
Station: OK1RF/OK1RI

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Brezina
Operating Time (hrs): 48

------------
  160:   66
   80:  858
   40: 1980
   20: 1445
   15: 2019
   10:  462
------------

Club:

Comments:

Another gathering in Brezina. At first we are most happy that our friend OK1DO
could join us in good spirit after his heart problems.

This time the Middle Europe was for sure not the place to be in. The
propagation toward the USA was once more BAD. Specifically on 20m. We just
could not generate any decent pileup. Sunday was a bit better than Saturday.
There was some pileup on 15m and something going on on 40 to the east. I was
listening on 20 around 18 UTC the time one would expect to have the best
propagation - but heard only the big guns above noise. I was listening with
other big guns in our area (9A1A (600 km to the south + DR1A 700 km
north-west), both were calling CQ happily without much action. I was on 9A1A
frequency over 4 minutes and they made 0 QSOs (!!) during that time. DR1A was
more successful he made in 5 minutes 2 QSOs but with EU only. Each km to the
south/west counted during this weekend significantly. Already IR4X about 600 km
to the south-west worked some USA and I could hear less than 1/3 of the
stations. Of course not to mention stations in G, F or EA - it is already
different world. It is like beeing in Wisconsin x NJ. The score is 5 mil less
compared to last year.

I believe this is a place to say BIG thanks to VE3EN for his wonderful
solarham.com and actually this time the propagation was in very good accordance
to the numbers and maps. The UGLY green Auroral oval on "ovation" + "Aurora"
being in the range 7-8 was un-penetrable, A-index was 10, so what could be
expected. Of course operation from C5A would have been a different "cup of
coffee" and we are already looking forward to CQWW 2012.

Anyway we all had fun and most probably hope to meet you again in WPXCW.

Congratulation to the EI7M team from the far west of Europe and as I believe to
IR4X too.

Thanks for the QSOs

73 !

Jiri