[3830] SDQP K0PC Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SDQP K0PC Rover LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 16:19:15 -0700
                    South Dakota QSO Party

Call: K0PC
Operator(s): K0PC
Station: K0PC

Class: Rover LP
QTH: SD
Operating Time (hrs): 14

  160:    0     0       0
   80:   11     0       0
   40:  348     0       0
   20:  510     0       0
   15:    0     0       0
   10:    0     0       0
    6:    0     0       0
    2:    0     0       0
----------------------------
Total:  860     0       0  Mults = 60  Total Score = 206,400

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

This was my first outing in the South Dakota QSO Party so I didn't know what
to expect. I was pleasantly surprised at the turnout. I knew that the MI QSO
Party ran concurrently on Saturday and expected that to provide a crowd. I
couldn't believe the turnout on Sunday morning. I had California stations
calling in before 6AM Pacific time. My rates were significantly higer on
Sunday morning, I had 54 QSOs/hr on Saturday and 83 QSOs/hr on Sunday.

I ran a one-man mobile operation in 25 counties. I originally thought I would
do multiple county line operations but changed my mind and just operated
while driving. I didn't do any logging but I used the sound recorder program
on the laptop to record the whole operation. That meant I had to transcribe
the log after the contest. I learned that even though I was alone, I talked
to myself a lot. Of course I probably need therapy if I think 14 hours on the
road is fun.

I studied the SD highway map when setting up my route, but my definition of
a paved road differs from theirs. Some of the roads alternated between
pavement and gravel several times in a mile. I changed the route midday on
Saturday to preserve my suspension. All in all, I was able to say pretty
close to my planned times. I even was able to add one more county on
Saturday after an on-air request for a 'last county' in SD.

Now the results. I ended up with 860 CW QSOs (tried SSB once without any luck)
and 60 mults for a total score of 206,400. The band breakdown surprised me
a bit, I knew 20M was the best band but I didn't think it had a nearly 50%
advantage over 40M. Band counts were 80M - 11, 40M - 348, 20M - 510.

This was all made possible by those who followed me around last weekend.
There were some big efforts by a lot of stations but here is my top ten list.

W4UCZ - Number 1 with a gold star. Mark had 31 QSOs and worked me in each of
the 25 counties I visited. He seemed to know where I was going before I got
there. When I changed bands he was always waiting. Great job!

N5NA - Alan was a close second to W4UCZ with 30 QSOs in 20 counties
VE7CV - 27 QSOs & 20 counties
N6MU - 23 QSOs & 20 counties
W4UT - 20 QSOs & 17 counties, great QRP effort
K9NW - 19 QSOs & 11 counties
WA6KHK - 18 QSOs & 16 counties
K7REL - 16 QSOs & 15 counties
W0GXQ - 16 QSOs & 16 counties