[3830] FlQP K4KG M/SMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, georgek5kg@aol.com, fcg@kkn.net, ve7zo@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] FlQP K4KG M/SMixed LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 20:08:29 -0700
                    Florida QSO Party

Call: K4KG
Operator(s): K5KG/K4KG, VE7ZO
Station: K4KG

Class: M/SMixed LP
QTH: 49 FL CTYS
Operating Time (hrs): 20

   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
--------------------
Total:  2521   237  CW Mults = 75  Ph Mults = 50  Total Score = 1,319,750

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

This was the 8th K4KG/m entry into the FQP with team K5KG and VE7ZO.  Over the
years, station preparation has gotten quicker and easier, but invariably each
year Saturday seems to be stressful enough for us to question why we keep doing
this.   However, Sunday proves to be the solution day when the major glitches
have been cured, and we are able to harmonize with our surroundings and fully
enjoy the test.    We have been doing this often enough that now when we go to
the U-Haul franchise to pick up a trailer they have already pre-drilled a hole
in the center where we mount the Sigma 5, and the clerk remembers us as those
crazy antenna-guys!.  It has become our routine that the trailer mounted Sigma
5 is the primary 20/15/10 choice along with a 40M ham stick mounted on the roof
of the Highlander.   We had an aggressive route of 51 counties planned, however
we activated only 49 due to issues that arose on Day 1.

WriteLog has been our logging choice in the past due to its support of the FQP.
 However, we started having control and logging issues at the beginning, and
they persisted throughout the day.  For the last 4 hours there were only 4
keyboard keys functioning and all transmitting was done by flogging the
Bencher.   In the confusion and frustration we missed the turn to OSC and drove
through FLG without noticing the county demarcation sign.  We were not able to
resolve the control/logging issues on Saturday.  On our overnight break, we
decided switch logging programs by going to WinTest.  We managed to jury rig
the TXQP module to work for the FQP, and this proved to solve the computer and
logging issues altogether.

On our overnight, we tagged up with the W4AN team of John, K4BAI, and Jeff,
KU8E.  They had an intermittent coax problem that had been plaguing them.
Fortunately, we had a spare mag mount that we loaned them which cured their
problem.  We had planned on having a relaxing breakfast with John and Jeff, but
those plans were scrubbed due to last minute scrambles to meet the 8 am start.

Conditions were good and activity was great so thanks to all the superb ops
that monitor our frequency â?" our groupies -  and are able to complete the QSY
to SSB in quick order.  Top stations in the K4KG/m log included WA3HAE â?" 73.
VE3KZ â?" 71, VA3DX â?" 63, NP2X â?" 50, K0HC â?" 50, K9CT â?" 47, N9CK â?" 46,
K0RC â?" 39
VA3DF â?" 36, K5LH â?" 33.   We set a FQP rate record for our station in the
last hour with 232 Qâ??s including 8 mode changes to SSB.

Conditions were generally so good on 20M that we did not spend much time
elsewhere.  W7GVE in CA was our only 10M QSO.  15M was open but the skip was
long and the EUâ??s were as strong as the domestic stations.  Too bad there
werenâ??t more Europeans active in the contest, but it was great working
regulars DL3GA, DL5MC, DL0ERF, I4VEQ and others.  UA9FAR was the farthest DX we
worked; the W4AN worked UA9FAR as well.  It was great to have the increased
participation from the SPâ??s and special thanks to SP6JOE who QSYâ??d to phone
to give us the SP mult.  OM2VL was missing from our log this year and we missed
his potent signal in the pile ups.   Also missing was W8MJ and, of course, the
K1TO/K8NZ team always who always showed us what the top potential was for the
FQP on CW.

As a mixed mode entry, we are constantly pestering CW only ops to QSY to phone.
 Many thanks to all those who searched their junk boxes for micâ??s to give us
the Q.  There were many mults that were missed on phone due to no microphones
or no activity.  Compounding the problem was poor mult-tracking by our team due
to the computer-induced confusion on Day 1.  Overall we missed AK, HI, UT, VT,
AB, SK, and MS on both modes.

Hope you all had as much fun as we did and look forward to working you once
again in 2013.

73, George, K5KG/K4KG and Jim, VE7ZO

Station setup:
Elecraft K3 powered from vehicleâ??s battery through #8 cable and 30 amp fuses
in both lines.
MFJ Super Battery Booster.
DC Power Power Cube - 12 vdc Anderson Power Pole strip.
Daiwa cross-needle power meter.
Dell laptop powered by Lind Electronics DC Power Adapter connected to
vehicleâ??s 12 vdc port.
Rx Audio piped from K3 to MP3 port on the vehicleâ??s radio for to facilitate
driver partnering.
Force 12 Sigma 5 mounted on a U-Haul motorcycle trailer.  (Tnx to Jan, K4QD for
repairs on Sigma 5)
HamStick on 40m, roof mag-mounted.
Cooler full of snacks and drinks
Vehicle: 2012 Toyota Highlander â?" totally quiet electrically with no added
shielding.