[3830] 7QP NK7U M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] 7QP NK7U M/M HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 21:26:25 -0700
                    7th Call Area QSO Party

Call: NK7U
Operator(s): NK7U, K7ZO, W7ZRC, N7WR, WJ9B, N9JA
Station: NK7U

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Oregon
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:     1      0     0
   80:     0     87     0
   40:   204    230     0
   20:   473    388     0
   15:   300    432     0
   10:    58     53     0
    6:     0      0     0
    2:     0      0     0
----------------------------
Total:  1036   1190     0  Mults = 69  Total Score = 378,673

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

That was fun. Thanks to the organizers for holding another great 7QP. The 2012
edition was notable at NK7U by two first time visits by radio and contesting
celebrities. First was well known contester Will WJ9B who recently moved to the
Southwest Idaho area from Florida. He won the "Iron Butt" award this weekend for
his efforts on CW - an all important mode in 7QP as the QSOs are worth three
points. Also making a first visit to NK7U was Ray N9JA from ICOM. He made the
drive down from Seattle with some radios to attach to NK7U antennas and help
fill our log with QSOs. Ray also brought along his 13 year old son Joseph who
made his first ever contacts and was asking dad "how do I get my license dad?"
It was a great fun weekend.

Thanks to everyone for the QSOs. Tops in our log for the party was the K7EAR
gang with 9 QSOs followed by K4BIA with 8. N6KI and W0BH were nice to call us 7
times followed by K6MMM, NN6CH, and VE4VT with 6.

Overall our score was down about 13% from last year. A quarter of the
difference was due to missing three mults relative to last year when we only
missed VY0 and got 72 out of a possible 73 mults. This year we got a VY0 but
missed VO, VY1, VY2, and VE8. The other three quarters were due to lower QSO
points --  notably on SSB. Last year we had 1,787 SSB QSOs vs this year 1,190.
We did improve our CW effort from 817 to 1,036 QSOs. As several people
mentioned in earlier posts low band QRN likely related to thunderstorms was
very high this year, higher than anything we could remember in the past. On 40
Meters our noise level to the east was a steady S9 +5. We ended up beaming
south and working just up and down the west coast.

Looks like it could be a close finish in the M/M class right now we have a slim
1,500 point lead over N7AT. Going to be decided in log checking!

Scott/K7ZO