[3830] NewEngQP N2WN Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NewEngQP N2WN Single Op QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 04:37:56 -0700
                    New England QSO Party

Call: N2WN
Operator(s): N2WN
Station: N2WN

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Grainger Co., Tn
Operating Time (hrs): 17:37

   80:     10
   40:     66       15
   20:    146      100
   15:      4
   10:
------------------------
Total:    226      115  Mults = 67  Total Score = 37,989

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

There were times I wondered if I had picked the right contest, 7QP had an
amazing amount of activity and InQP sounded fine too. NEQP seemed range bound
to 20M, but 20 was amazing into NE. Saturday was quiet and plenty of solid
signals. It was one of those times where 5 watts was "just right". I had more
than a few "boy are you loud", 20+, etc., then I told them I was QRP. Had to
check several times, kinda like pinching yourself to make sure you're not
dreamin'!

I always go into a contest I'm playing serious in with the idea of beating my
previous score. I had some doubts initially as I didn't even hear a mobile
until 40 minutes in. 40 was finicky here, some stations were easy, some very
tough, some the louder they were here, the more difficult the contact.
Challenging to say the least.

Judging by the pre-contest listing, there should have been a few more mobiles,
which would have made some of the tougher counties "easier" to add. I'm
thankful that the three active mobiles all heard me well enough throughout the
contest.

Saturday proved outstanding with three quarters of the counties logged and 140+
QSOs. SSB proved very productive. Two counties worried me NANMA and FRAMA, you
wouldn't think MA would present a difficulty, usually I miss a couple in ME
and/or VT. Plenty of RI stations worked this time too. The first NANMA came on
SSB and then worked a second on CW shortly before the end. FRAMA was sheer
luck, we had nice weather so I was in and out mowing, one time I came in and
twirled the knob to check on county changes and there was N4BAA/1 holding high
speed CW court with FRAMA, and that is how I managed to work ALL 67 counties!
This is the first sweep I have EVER had in ANY contest. Needless to say I was
thrilled!

That put me within spittin' distance of my best score, so shifted into high
gear to see if I could top it. WA1Z helped by flipping back and forth between
CW and SSB, and 40 and 80 still had possibilities to add a few more Qs. I
managed to beat the old score by a comfortable margin, but we'll see how log
checking works out.

Many thanks to all the mobiles and portables. The top numbers came from: WA1Z
(31), W1UJ (30) and K1KI (16). Worked less on 15 this year, none heard on 10
and 80 seemed sedate.

Thanks to the organizers, sponsors and players.

72,
Julius
n2wn