[3830] WPX CW VE9AA SO(A)SB10 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca
Subject: [3830] WPX CW VE9AA SO(A)SB10 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 17:13:03 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SO(A)SB10 HP
QTH: NB
Operating Time (hrs): 28

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:  318
------------

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Sometimes you make good choices; sometimes bad.
I am here to tell you, this was the former.
I feel like I just ran the Boston Marathon, in my fathers oversized pajamas,
backwards in old flip-flops.  Then I was beat up, thrown in a ditch and then
kicked.<hi>
Watching the cluster, 15m seems to have been the money band, and I am sure the
folks once
done there said "Oh my Gosh, what just happened?"
For me, it was more like "Oh my gosh, why is this happening to me?"
Yes, I chose the wrong band.  Ooops!  A newly installed 10m beam (my only HF
beam) was calling
my name.  "Mike, Mike, you must try me out in the WPX. . ..those old wires
can't make you happy like I can" (it said).
Well, you know, I know a nice band you can relax on and actually find a clear
frequency to CQ on....for hours.
I don't even want to look at my rate sheet.  It would be downright
embarrasing.
It's not so much that there was no condx on 10m, more than it was that everyone
was apparently on 15m.
Oh dear.  I watched the "available mults" window and near cried.  15m musta
been on FIRE.
We had virtually no Es to the USA and just a spattering of EU both mornings on
the direct path (big guns only)
and here and there on backscatter towards AF the rest of the time.  Odd times
it would open and I would 2  X Italy or 2 X Bulgaria,
which I was very thankful for.  NBPOWER thanks me too. I spent oodles on the
power bill this weekend heating the side
of the trees where my yagi is near.
As I type this, it's 2204Z on Sunday and I have just CQ'd about gosh knows how
many times, but my last QSO was 21:55Z.
It's normal to CQ for 5, 10 even 20 minutes without so much as one reply.  I am
sure I have worked everyone that has
even barely glanced @ 10m in the past 2 days within earshot of NB, Canada and I
can tell you, there weren't many.
Please accept my humble score.  I bow my head in shame when I submit it, but I
actually worked pretty hard for every
since QSO.  I feel like I made 3000 Q's the shape I am in.....UPDATE.  In the
last hour, I was blessed with a couple JA QSO's
and a few more EU.  I feel refreshed. <g>

CU in the Maritime QSO Party next Saturday, as VE9AA/M county hopping all over
VE9
Some nice prizes to be won.
www.maritimecontestclub.com

Not many MCCers & related folks heard/worked:
VE9HF, VE9OA, VE9DX, VE1YX, VY2TT
IC-746, 750W, ground-plane/LJ-105CA (switchable/ or in phase) N1MM

dit dit Mike