[3830] WPX CW DL3YM SO(A)AB(TS) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, gissel@fh-ludwigshafen.de
Subject: [3830] WPX CW DL3YM SO(A)AB(TS) LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 01:22:38 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: DL3YM
Operator(s): DL3YM
Station: DL3YM

Class: SO(A)AB(TS) LP
QTH: Karlsruhe
Operating Time (hrs): 36

------------
  160:   11
   80:  260
   40:  452
   20:  512
   15:  435
   10:   17
------------

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

The public holiday on Monday and associated family chores ruled out a full scale
effort away from home, thus turning my mission into squeezing maximum fun out of
a lilâ?? pistol approach.
Totally inverting the usual WPX routine sounded like an attractive challenge,
so I ended up operating in the assisted low power tribander & wires category.
Now as many have noted this weekend's condx did their best to keep us
Contesters happy, and I am pretty amazed as to what can achieved from a city
lot. Ran a skeleton slot bidirectional beam on 10 and 15, an 80m inverted L on
20, 80 and 160 and a wire vertical on 40m. All antennas are very, very close to
one another so they do interact a lot.
Did a lot of clicking instead of turning the VFO knob and found this way of
operating can be much more fun than I imagined. Highlights included
simultaneously working JAs longpath and US West Coast shortpath on 15m way
after midnight local time as well as working all continents on 20m Saturday
morning within 15 minutes. Seeing the rate meter hit 155 Qs per hour for the
last ten average during a short run on 80m Saturday night was nice, too. You
must be humble when you operate low power, hi.
All in all a very enjoyable weekend. Managed to stay in the chair for the full
36 hours and never got bored along the way.
Congrats to DJ5MW for smashing my old high power DL record. With just a little
luck I might have set a new margin for the exotic overlay category I operated
this year.