[3830] WPX CW ZM4G(ZL2IFB) SO(A)SB15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, gary@g4ifb.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW ZM4G(ZL2IFB) SO(A)SB15 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 02:17:58 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: ZM4G
Operator(s): ZL2IFB
Station: ZM4G

Class: SO(A)SB15 HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15: 1400
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

K3 + kW + tribander.

I ran pretty hard until Saturday evening, picking up plenty of pfx on the run,
then consciously changed tack for the remainder, spending much of my time
hoovering up most of the remaining pfxs on DXcluster.  There were so many pfxs
available, and itâ??s so easy to pick em off with N1MMâ??s band map, that I
sustained a pretty good QSO rate that way.

The anticipated EU LP openings were there but sigs werenâ??t as outstandingly
strong as they had been before the contest.  Found myself running EU/US beaming
over the S Pole at one point!

The K3 was fantastic.  A very loud European plopped himself a few hundred Hz
away from me, several times during the weekend, but I just cranked down the
filters or swapped sidebands and carried on oblivious.  He kept on sliding
closer to me, trying to nudge me off the band, but mostly I just ignored him.
At one point I got annoyed with his antics and matched his slide towards me by
sliding myself even closer to him â?" finally he got the message and shifted
away.  The band was busy but not wall-to-wall, especially above 060.  An added
benefit of mult-hunting is finding vacant slots in which to CQ.

The kW out helped compared to my usual 500W, but Iâ??m glad to say I was still
hearing DX better than they heard me (as far as I know anyway!).  I worked a
few QRPers and mobiles right down to the noise floor, plus PW0F (split!) and
D3AA and a dozen more new ones for the 2012 challenge table on Clublog.

Nearly gave up on UA5A â?" bone-crunching sigs from him throughout but he
consistently ignored me until finally we made it towards the end.   Iâ??ll
remember him forever as â??U-A-5-Alligatorâ??.

I have a sneaking suspicion the band would have been usable in the dead of
night but Iâ??m getting too old for that game and needed my zeds more than I
needed to win.  Guess Iâ??ve lost my edge!

73 & thanks for all the smiles
Gary  ZL2iFB