[3830] WPX CW ZM3T(W3SE) SO(A)SB10(TS) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, W3SE@dxer.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW ZM3T(W3SE) SO(A)SB10(TS) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 04:29:58 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: ZM3T
Operator(s): W3SE
Station: ZM3T

Class: SO(A)SB10(TS) HP
QTH: Auckland
Operating Time (hrs): 30

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:  678
------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Not sure if that was fun or hard work, it kept changing - Mainly FUN.
Congrats to all the new record holders.

Last minute decision to go Single Op 10M Assisted High Power. Did not think LP
on 10M would have been a good idea. Seeing the OC record was 9,932 held by
Gary, ZL2iFB Thought I would give it a run.

It started off with a bang with nice runs into NA with the odd JA popping in
from time to time. I was surprised to see the rate meter hit 60 plus a few
times in the first hour, and at 0058 it showed 100! but with only 44 logged in
the first Hour, but the band only improved from there with the calls kept
coming. Logging 3 a minute for a short while the rate hit 173... Yes! I thought
bring it on... then something happened and it fell apart, and did what 10M does
in the ZL afternoon, went flat.

I was hoping for the late afternoon / early evening SP to EU to open. Around
0445 it brought a few EU to the log, C4Z, IR9Y nice bonus was VU2BGS @ 0453
along with several UA0, BY, JA etc... By 0630 it was gone.

Sunday morning I was up and going by Sunrise. The first QSO was at 1908, and
the band just sprang to life. Putting NA calls one after the other, while
looking for the LP EU to open. Among all the W0 W7, W1, EAs, etc.. At 1939Z I
heard a very light Z4F... I called for the Z4F? - 5Z4FM... Gave me # 017. I
made sure to copy the call, as this was my first 5Z on 10M from ZL. Caught me
totally off guard, Not an area I would have expected to hear at this time of
day. This was my Woo Hoo moment.

The band stayed in good shape for a few hours then died off after 2300Z. It
peaked a bit in the afternoon. Sunday evening is when EU made a better
appearance in the log with a small but decent opening, and working as late as
0900Z. Only 5% of my log is EU. Monday morning was pretty dull; nothing to get
excited over, but it started to open around 2330Z V31UB droped by at 2205Z.

All in all I had a good time, with 678 Qs and 355 WPX for 699,350. I'm sure
scoring will knock that back a bit, I may have missed a few numbers with QSB
etc... The band seemed to be fairly unpopulated as I figure most were on 15 /
20 scooping up the points.

No major problems except during a few NA Runs, a certain Multi-Op kept dropping
in right on top of me a few times calling CQ... or just to the side of me, so I
narrowed things up, moved the IF Shit a litle bit, I stayed persistent until he
went away each time. What happened to sending QRL a few times before digging in?
 Are there only a few of us left who still check if the freq is busy?

I gave my new FT-2000 a decent work out; it's a bit different from the
FT-1000MP Iâ??ve been using the past 11 years. Still learning my way around it
after 3 weeks out of the box.

Thanks to all for the Qs and Mults, was a good time.

FT-2000, KW, KT34M2, Win-Test

73,

Wes,  W3SE / ZL3TE / ZM3T