[3830] WPX CW AB1J SO(A)SB40(TS) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW AB1J SO(A)SB40(TS) LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 08:05:15 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SO(A)SB40(TS) LP
QTH: Waltham, EMA
Operating Time (hrs): 26

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:  483
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

This is one of my favorite contests, but as it approached
I found myself lacking enthusiasm. Medical
problems this spring and a recent death in the family
have left me depressed and blah. I
decided that if I wanted to put some zip back into the WPX,
I needed a drastic change, so Thursday I decided to go
assisted, which I have never done before in a major contest.

My 40m DSL modem crashing problem reared its ugly head just
in time for the contest. This happens periodically for no
reason I can discern. I still have an AOL dialup account
for my wife when she visits her mother where there is no
other Internet access, so I dialed up and it worked fine.
It's slow but had no problem keeping up with the Telnet
cluster. I set the filter to CQ zone 05, skimmers on. No one
here needed the phone since my wife was away for the weekend.
I kept my cell phone on for any calls.

I went back to 40 because I've done it for two of the last
three years and I could make comparisons. I made a personal
all time high 40m score, although I'm not sure I
maximized the assistance. For the first two thirds
of the contest I mostly just worked it into my S&Ping, but
toward the end, as the the bandmap grayed out, I clicked
around a lot. It did add new interest to the contest.

I also tried running more this year, especially toward the
end of the contest and got about 23% of my Qs that way,
which is a lot for my station. A number of "runs" were just
one QSO, so I should say that CQing got me that 23%.

Thanks for all the QSOs.  See you in the IARU.

73,
Kermit, AB1J