[3830] AlQP W0BH SOMixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] AlQP W0BH SOMixed HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 15:52:49 -0700
                    Alabama QSO Party

Call: W0BH
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: W0BH

Class: SOMixed HP
QTH: KS
Operating Time (hrs): 11.6
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:   10      1
   40:   67      8
   20:   92     64
   15:   11      3
   10:
--------------------
Total:  180     76  CW Mults = 55  Ph Mults = 35  Total Score = 39,240

Club:

Comments:

Great conditions into Alabama from Kansas the entire day.  For a good part of
the day, I could easily work (at the same time of day) 40, 20, and 15 with no
ESP contacts .. amazing actually! It would have been fun to put a lot more 15m
contacts into the mobile logs, but the mobiles were probably too busy with the
short skip on 20.

Since I'm mixed mode, I usually find out early which mobiles will go from CW to
SSB. It took me too long to figure out that AD8J/m was happy to do so, but once
I did we had fun. Operating CW is my favorite mode, but in QSO parties with
mults by mode, the CW ops might consider an occasional switch to SSB for those
who request it during slow times. I heard all the mobiles calling unanswered
CQs and I know from experience that the fun level goes up when you can use
those times to make a few SSB contacts with your loyal followers (who really
appreciate it and will generally only ask if they need the mult near the end of
the contest or if you're the only one in the county). Of course you can still
enter as CW-Only by putting the SSB Qs in a checklog. Some of my most memorable
times in QSO parties come from these short SSB exchanges. Please don't take this
as a critique on the CW-Only mobiles. It's just something to think about and
perhaps try sometime.

Terrific job by the mobiles as usual! My numbers with all the CW mobiles were
up from previous years :

52 N4ZZ/m - thanks for posting your timed schedule .. it paid off!
31 AD8J/m - consistently loudest signal into Kansas on all bands.
19 K4ZGB/m - always easy to find (as were several others).
18 KN4Y/m - thought I'd missed you in HOUS until the end!
03 KJ5SO/m - Robert was just heading west on I-20.
02 N3FU/m - thanks for Barbour!
01 KC0CL/m - visiting AL from KS.

Top fixed stations were NV4B (8) and NE4M (5) who could be heard just about
every time I tuned across the bands, but there were a number of others who also
really put in their time.

Overall, I worked (mixed) 60/67 counties missing only those in the northeast:
CHMB CLAY CLEB COOS DKLB JKSN RAND. This year, I put CREN and TDEG in the log,
which completes a three year Sweep! I worked 82 unique calls. At one point, I
noticed N4ZZ/m, K4ZGB/m and AD8J/m all in ELMO at the same time!

Condolences to KC4HW and your YL's family. We missed you in the mobile but we
all understand and enjoyed working you from your home QTH. Thanks for the hard
work you and the ACG do to make the AQP such a success, Jim.

Lorna and I just got back from a trip to NC, SC and Florida, returning through
ten Alabama counties. It was fun "visiting" them all again during the AQP.
Until next year when there's a chance I might be joining you all from
in-state.

73, Bob, w0bh

PS Since conditions are so good from Kansas to Alabama, the reverse might be
true as well. Give the Kansas QSO Party a try the last weekend in August!