[3830] ARRL June VHF VE1SKY Limited Multi-Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve1sky@yahoo.ca
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF VE1SKY Limited Multi-Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 05:54:39 -0700
                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: VE1SKY
Operator(s): VE1SKY
Station: VE1SKY

Class: Limited Multi-Op LP
QTH: NS  FN74
Operating Time (hrs): 14

    6:  656   150
    2:    4     4
  222:
  432:
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  660   154  Total Score = 101,640

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

> ARRLVHFJUN Score Summary Sheet
>
> Start Date : 2012-06-10
>
> CallSign Used : VE1SKY
> Operator(s) : VE1SKY
>
> Operator Category : Multi-OP
> Band : ALL
> Power : LOW
> Mode : MIXED
> Default Exchange : FN74
> Hours 14
>
> Name : Roger G. Sturtevant
>
> ARRL Section : MAR
> Club/Team : Maritime Contest Club
> Software : N1MM Logger V12.5.5
>
> Band Mode QSOs Pts Grd
> 50 USB 656 656 150
> 144 USB 4 4 4
> Total Both 660 660 154
>
> Score : 101,640
>
> Rig : FT 847 160w
>
> Antennas : KMA 4113 LPDA

I worked VE1JF, VE9AA from the Maritimes. Thanks guys. Gary, VE1RGB, wasn't
around anywhere and I practiced his favourite art "CW" for several hours
without working him. I enjoyed working lots of familiar 6m ops and saw many new
ones in the log.

Since I used the DX Cluster and passively looked in on ON4KST chat, I was not
my usual SOLP, but MULTI-OP.

*(Note to the contest powers at ARRL, I would recommend passive use of spotting
nets and the DX Cluster without forcing a wide open, QRO Multi-Op designation on
a SOLP entrant.  An assisted category SOLP would be fine.)

Lots of great DX today and a bit yesterday. Italy, Slovenia, Venezuela,
Azores, Spain, Portugal and a bunch of Caribbean countries were easily
workable.  A highlight was an ISCAT Q with IW5DHD. I had lots of skeds for
meteor scatter in the wee hours before the Es started this morning. Many thanks
go to K8GP and many successful skeds with fellow ping jockeys.

When everything broke loose this afternoon and run rates were at 139/hr, my
macros just stopped working. Four hours later, I found a remedy on the fly.
Whew...makes you appreciate technology!

This contest will be one where many records fall. Too bad, I didn't have a
kilowatt, a four yagi array and a team with me for the multi
category entry. I had a lot of fun and wore myself out doing it.

I hope my club compatriots place MCC in the cabrillo header to register our
club score.  Many members in the Maritime Contest Club are starting to move to
6m and recognize the experience of VHF contesting is amongst the best in radio
contesting.

Thank you very much to all who worked or tried for VE1SKY, even through there
was some aggressive and on one occasion, ugly QRM.  As the propagation changed
in the heat of the contest, one un-named op unfortunately distinguished himself
in front of many of you and insisted on ruining run rates for both of us instead
of working out a possible gentlemanly accommodation.  On the other hand, it's
amazing how most folks work things out when the propagation creates moving
wall-to-wall conditions.

With the terrific, albeit too short openings, the various active modes, and
very hard work by by hundreds of amateurs; this was truly a memorable contest.

73,

Roger, VE1SKY
Bridgetown, NS  FN74