[3830] ARRL June VHF K9AKS/R Limited Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, croseman@usc.edu
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K9AKS/R Limited Rover LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 08:39:04 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  350   117  Total Score = 40,950

Club:

Comments:

Instead of my usual QRP portable operation, I decided to do something different
this yearâ?"limited rover using six meters only. I made the trek out to central
Nebraska to activate some grids that are needed by some. Perhaps I will be
disqualified as an entrant in the limited rover category because a second op
came along and played a big roleâ?"that would be Murphy.

My plan was to set up the 5 element beam on a fifteen-foot mast at sites in
each of about five different grids.  To start I found a great site in DN90. The
south wind was very strong, but I managed to raise the antenna and control it
reasonably well.  The band was dead for the first two hours, so after only two
QSOs, I moved on.  In DN91 I found a good site with a good view to the east and
stayed there Saturday evening. Of course the band was open mostly to the west,
but I managed about 165 QSOs in 65 grids while battling the wind to hold the
beam using the Armstrong method.  Sunday morning I went on to DN92, where the
wind had shifted to the north and was so strong I could not raise the antenna
(not to mention control it). So I operated using the quarter-wave whip on the
car. Without the beam, it was a struggle most of the timeâ?"lots of S/P and
repeats, just like running QRP (which I hoped to avoid)!  It was the same story
Sunday evening in EN01â?"incredible wind, no beam.

The openings were great on Sunday morning and evening, to both the west and
southeast, but without the beam I could not take full advantage of them. Thanks
to those who pulled me out of the mud. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the trip,
especially roaming the Sand Hills of Nebraskaâ?"some spectacular scenery even
with the wicked wind.

73, Curt k9aks