[3830] ARRL FD VA7ST 1D LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD VA7ST 1D LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 15:23:19 -0700

  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  599     0      15  Total Score = 2,274

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Score includes 100 points for the W1AW message copied at 6 p.m. Saturday RTTY,
and 50 points for using the web form.

Had a very good time -- as I always do. A very wet weekend offered reason to
stay inside, and kept powerline noise nicely quashed.

Had everything ready to go with two batteries charged up, but at the last
minute (as I went to hook up the power) I realize the FT-2000's four-bladed 12V
socket doesn't match the six-hole spare 12V cable I have on hand (from the
FT-920). Could have run the 920 off the batteries, but I much prefer the
FT-2000's AC0C brick-wall filtering when bands are busy, as they were this
weekend. So I made the last-minute decision to use commercial mains as 1D --
had not done that since 2009.

Great activity on 80M in the wee hours of Sunday morning. Sure was fun with the
two-element 80M vertical array working beautifully aimed east for the masses, or
west (incl. W7/W6). And 40M seemed to go on forever, carrying the low-power
signals very well. Pulled the plug at 1045z (nearly 4 a.m. local) for some
rest, and got back on 20M and 15M at 1600z for two more hours.

15M was better on Sunday morning that on Saturday afternoon here. 20M was good
well into Saturday night and Sunday morning.

The only missing band was 10M -- heard part of one callsign, probably thanks to
a meteor, and that was it.

Plenty of dupes for some reason. Ended up with about 14 per cent of contacts as
zero-points.

Points        Total         3_5           7             14            21

0              83            0             21            45           17

2             531           47            146           249           89

Total         614           47            167           294          106

Not worried about the zero-point fellow 1D callers -- goes with the choice of
running 1D. But the dupes were frustrating.

Lots of new HF operators on the air. Field Day 1981 got me into this awesome
hobby as a youngster, and I sure hope this year's event gave that same bug to
many newcomers. We can always use the infusion of new blood in the
"contest-like activity" ranks.

Very glad to read about Gary VE1RGB's noise abatement program. Will be great to
work him and the rest of the VE bunch next Saturday (RAC Canada Day Contest
starts at 5 p.m. Pacific Friday afternoon and runs 24 solid hours -- hope
everyone can get on for at least part of the action).

Remember, the best strategy in that contest is to point northwest with the mode
locked on "CW".

73 and see you on the air again next weekend!

-- Bud VA7ST

http://www.orcadxcc.org
http://www.va7st.ca/home.html