[3830] RAC Day VE4VT(VE4EAR) SOAB/Ph HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Day VE4VT(VE4EAR) SOAB/Ph HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 18:35:21 -0700
                    RAC Canada Day Contest

Call: VE4VT
Operator(s): VE4EAR
Station: VE4VT

Class: SOAB/Ph HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 21
Radios: SO2R

  160:            0                0
   80:           49                5
   40:          286               10
   20:          962               11
   15:           12                4
   10:            1                1
    6:            1                1
    2:            1                1
Total:   0     1312      0        33  Total Score = 212,190

Club:

Comments:

Another fun yet frustrating contest. The fun part is meeting familiar calls on
the air in a less formal contest and exchanging seasonal pleasantries.

The frustrations in this one have to be the conditions (yet again) and having
to explain to the family why I am spending an absolutely perfect day indoors
playing on the radio. Maybe RAC should consider moving this contest so it
doesn't fall on Canada and family conflicts would be lessened.

Two years in a row now there has been very poor conditions due to Coronal holes
or other solar disturbances. The SFI should be high enough to offer some
reasonable DX conditions on 10/15 but with the A index over 20, noise and
auroral conditions were prevalent.

On 40m Saturday night, stations from QC and east arrived with Auroral flutter.
20m was prone to rapid significant changes in conditions. One moment  signals
would be booming and the next the next they were weak and wispy. 15m was very
poor and just manged a handful of backscatter Q's. I don't even want to mention
80m as it was brutal. Signifcant QRN with the added bonus of lightning crashes
made the noise well over S9 at times. If I worked you n 80m, it was because you
were very strong! Perhaps i waited too long to move to 80m as the east coast
probably went to bed by the time I gave in and moved there.160m was vacant any
time I checked. Same as 6m. What happened to all the E's we seem to get every
day while I am at work?

Thanks to contesting newcomer VE4TTH for taking the time to walk through the
upper bands yielding at least one mult on 10/6/2. It really helped!

Mults were way down again this year and it sounds like a common story based on
comments from others.

Highlights were being called by VY0RAC for an almost ESP contact while the beam
was 90 degrees awy from them. Also working VE5AA on 20m at barely perceptible
levels and 30 minutes or so later, running across him with a S9+15 dB signal.

 Thanks for all the patience and repeats. Happy Canada Day to all my Canadian
friends and Happy 4th of July to our US neighbors.

73 Ed VE4EAR/VE4VT