[3830] RAC Day VE7XF SOAB/CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Day VE7XF SOAB/CW HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 15:26:26 -0700
                    RAC Canada Day Contest

Call: VE7XF
Operator(s): VE7XF
Station: VE7XF

Class: SOAB/CW HP
QTH: near Vancouver
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    4              2
   80:   40              4
   40:  162              8
   20:  412             12
   15:   88             10
   10:    2              1
    6:    2              1
    2:    1              1
Total:  711     0       39         0  Total Score = 131,820

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Well, that was a surprise! Whoda thunk condx would have been so bad? Not a peep
on 10m, in spite of checking often. I was worried that 15 might have suffered
the same fate, but it produced a few mults in the end. 80m wasn't much good
either, tnx to a broadband noise of S-7 most of the time. 160/80/40 mults are
VERY difficult from way out here in the RF wilderness.

I heard some aurora on 6m signals about 0330z, but only one local mult.
Every time I heard VE7JKZ, on any band, he had auroral flutter on his signal,
and he's only 17km away, as the RF flies.

I'm always surprised to get called by Eu, as my beam is usually at right angles
to them. A bit of finger work on the controls, and signals pick up considerably.
I found many more Eu stations this year, and they were giving out bigger
numbers. Nice to have them join our little contest! I think the W/VE contest
(predecessor to this one) was my first contest, in about 1955.
And nothing heard from the Yukon.

My first contest with the P3 added to the K3, and it was a big help finding
good sigs on the second rx for my SO2V operation.

Ralph, VE7XF