[3830] IARU KA3DRR(@W6SL) SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ka3drr@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] IARU KA3DRR(@W6SL) SO CW HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 14:17:08 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: KA3DRR
Operator(s): KA3DRR
Station: W6SL

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 20

  160:     0    0       0       0
   80:    30    0       5       1
   40:   209    0      15       3
   20:   382    0      20      10
   15:   296    0      22      18
   10:    86    0       8      34
-------------------------------------
Total:  1003    0      70      34  Total Score = 335,400

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Storm conditions flattened polar paths into Europe on the high bands. Managed a
few EU Qs in the log however rate was not significant. Focused on 15m through
the day until 2300 UTC when the 20m pipeline opened to the East Coast.
Additionally, at roughly 2200 UTC 10m opened into Asia/South America/East Coast
with the 5 element monobander pointed at 315 degrees.

Pointed 4 element 40m monobander at 315 degrees plus or minus at 1200 UTC
logging all important 5 point Qs before moving to the high bands. Also, 80m was
noisey late in the evening typical for summer months and was a lot of listening
between static crashes.

Followed directions off of CQ Contest Reflector and made weight adjustments at
the keyer resulting in a tremendous difference. It didn't feel like skidding
tires instead solid traction at the paddles boosted my confidence. Also,
significantly muted side tone into the cans, wow, it reduced listening fatigue
after 10 plus hours in the chair.

Top Five Zones --
08 = 338 Qs
45 = 170 Qs
07 = 160 Qs
06 = 129 Qs
04 = 27 Qs

Top Three Best Hours --
1500 = 75
0100 = 74
0400 = 68

Want to thank all the JA-operators, an ever increasing Q count out of China,
the PYs and LUs who make a difference on 10m CW, all the HQ stations, and a big
Zone 8 right on. I enjoyed a weekend worth of ham radio fun.

73, Scot KA3DRR @ W6SL

Icom 756PRO
Alpha 89
Tower #1