[3830] IARU KZ5D SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU KZ5D SO CW HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 14:22:17 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: KZ5D
Operator(s): KZ5D
Station: KZ5D

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 22.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:    56            4        2
   80:   173           10        9
   40:   407           23       28
   20:   383           27       33
   15:   467           27       29
   10:   152           13        6
-------------------------------------
Total:  1638    0     104      107  Total Score = 1,103,530

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Comments:

This was going to be THE year for terrific conditions. Sunspots were up and due
to hit one of their 28 day peaks a day before the contest. But who unleashed
the sun storm? I watched the A and K index all during the contest and could
hear the huge whoosh go out of the bands (20 particularly) about the time both
started to rise (between 06 and 07z here).

Had high expectations after the first 12 hours reaching 1,000 Qs that I would
finally be knocking on the door of the magical 2,000. But the solar storm
quashed that thought quickly with 6 hours to go.

Nonetheless, great fun and very enjoyable. Nice to work so many very familiar
calls and have multiple Qs with a large percentage of the gang. As I get older,
it's increasingly more difficult to stay awake after 18 to 20 hours. But the
effort was well worth it as this year was a personal best for me.

Next up is the NAQP-just 10 hours. Amazing how one's appreciation for the
shorter contests grows with age. 73 de Art.