[3830] IARU W0UA(@K0RF) SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU W0UA(@K0RF) SO CW HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 08:20:21 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: W0UA
Operator(s): W0UA
Station: K0RF

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): 23
Radios: SO2R

  160:    29    0       5       2
   80:   219    0      15      10
   40:   388    0      28      25
   20:   580    0      31      27
   15:   781    0      35      25
   10:   108    0       8       3
-------------------------------------
Total:  2105    0     122      92  Total Score = 1,504,634

Club:

Comments:

I keep re-adding that number in the 'HQ Mults' field and it keeps coming up with
that same low total. Bummer!  But then, I keep telling myself "No more
summertime contests!"  Apparently I'm not listening to me.  At least this time
I played 18 holes on Friday evening and again on Sunday.  My scores were about
the same as that HQ Mults total. Let's see, want HQ Mults HIGHER, golf score
LOWER.  OK, got it...

This thing was really well-attended--lots of activity from everywhere and
thankfully, lots of W and VE folks--we needed that what with the echo-chamber
on the DX paths. It really is kind of a hump-buster--24 hours straight through,
no breaks, no foolin' around.  These free-for-all, everyone-works-everyone
contests are the BEST, though!  Actually, the bands seemed fairly normal here
until around 8 PM local Saturday.  20 was still open to JA, though it closed
early, but EU was tightly locked-down.  But at that point the storm did clamp
down hard for the last 10 hours.  Signals on 40 from Asia were sooo
Aurora-smeared.  And I had clean shots at 2 Asian mults on 80 in the last
hour--they heard me, alright, but couldn't decipher my house-of-mirrors echoed
calls. Chuck said afterwards that the average Boulder K for the whole event was
4.8, peaking at 7.  My old joke with Chuck is that if it gets over 6 it's time
to break out the high-SPF Coppertone. I've always thought it's better to trust
your ears than those numbers anyway.

The folks at W1AW/7 and NU1AW/9 did themselves proud, great job, congrats guys!
 Thanks to Ed, VE4VT,(formerly VE4EAR) for moving bands with me.  Thanks to WH6R
who called-in for Zone 61 on 40 at 11:58Z. Thanks Brian, 9J2BO, for calling-in
on several bands. Thanks, Chuck, the station worked great & problem-free, the
big 40 doesn't seem to notice the missing tip on its director!  No local
WX-problems either, I think that's a first for this event.
That's OK, the propagated QRN was more than enough, thanks...

OK, no more summertime contests!  Well...maybe just 'til next summer...